PM (extra) Dry Stout is tanniny/green

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukerutledge

Reaction score
I just tasted a rather green dry stout I brewed recently and was surprised to get a lot of "tannin" type flavor from it. I tasted it from the fermentor before bottling and it was quite smooth (although extremely dry) and I am just surprised at how many off flavors bottle conditioning has created. I haven't seen this in a beer before, but then again I haven't brewed a beer south of 1.01.

I'm not worried, I'm sure the flavor will mellow out when it has been given proper time to condition, I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with dry stouts or the like? I used wyeast irish ale.

The title of your thread has your own answer...it's green beer. You can't make a judgement on it yet. After 3 weeks in the bottle if it is still off, then you should start troubleshooting.

The title of your thread has your own answer...it's green beer. You can't make a judgement on it yet. After 3 weeks in the bottle if it is still off, then you should start troubleshooting.

Like I said in my post, I am not worried and know it will be fine when given proper conditioning. I'm just curious if anyone has experienced such off flavors early in bottle conditioning with dry stouts/irish ale yeast. I personally have not experienced these flavors from other dark beers early in conditioning and am curious if others have seen this and what attributes of their beer overlap with mine.

Back