Rouge: Dirtoir Black Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but I imagine it is the same or similar to the Paul's Black lager they experimented with last year. And, that my friends was the sh#t.

Almost more of a stout than a black lager, I'd say. I thoroughly enjoyed my bottle... might have to go back for another.

Stout is an ale...so if its black and its a lager, then its a black lager.

Even if there were not already examples of stouts made with lager yeast (as remilard pointed out), this beer would be the first. It's like a imperial stout crossed with a schwartzbier. Big, roasty, coffee taste and aroma... it's a good beer.

(There was a brief chat about the topic here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/lager-yeast-stout-65300/)

That makes sense then. Baltic porter, which is pretty much what you are describing is fermented with lager yeast.

I had one of these a week ago. I saw black lager and expected schwartzbier-ish, but same as other posters, I was surprised (and pleased) but the level of roast. SWMBO and I really enjoyed it. She liked it so much that she picked up another bottle unsolicited.

It got a 97 on ratebeer FWIW.

Back