Any place still selling rhizomes? Is it too late to plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brrman

Reaction score
I have been so busy I could not get around to it until now.. I fear I have missed the boat this year. Most places are sold out of rhizomes by now.
:(

freshops does...i bought some and there in the ground as of the first of the month

Two weeks ago yesterday I ordered from freshops. They still had one of the varieties that I really wanted, but I bought three rhizomes to help the cause. I figured I could trade rhizomes in a few years, and crops in the meantime. I have read a few articles that suggest the major brewers will encourage the planting of high AA varieties as all that they want is hop extract. The lighter, aromatic and flavorful varieties could be pushed out of the market. I don't know if this is true or not, but it serves us well to grow these for a couple of reasons:

1) Let's beat the BMC brewers(stupid reason, but it still makes me mad)

2) The lighter and noble hops are what brewing are all about

3) Homegrown hops with unknown AA content are better for flavor and aromatic additions anyway

Just order them and put them in the ground. They will be yours and they will make beer. It's a small investment of money and time for something that could potentially serve your brewery for many years.

Awesome - thanks guys! I ordered Brewers Gold, Centennial, and Williamette.
Now only to find a place to plant these suckers... LOL

Hey brrman, I see you are from Indy. Have you tried Great Fermentations? I saw the other day they still had some listed on their board in the store.

I think they had just one Fuggles left. I was there on monday - I tend to shop there when I can. Thanks tho! :)

You ask if it's too late - up here it's still too early! We got more snow (~2") about 4 days ago.

I just ordered from Fresh hops today. Only place I could find much left. Didn't have exactly what I wanted, but I am happy enough with Centennial, Willamette and Kent Goldings.

Has anyone tried to grow "Sunbeam" I don't even know what that is, but from what I found it doesn't like full sun.

Back