Robust Porter that still taste "young"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proofman

Reaction score
Last night I tried my robust porter for the first time. I brewed it on 3/3/07 (OG 1.051). I racked to secondary on 3/11/07. I bottled on 3/25/07 (FG 1.019: target was 1.010 -1.015). O took a taste the day I racked to secondary and it tasted foul (very bitter). I tasted some on bottling day. It had mellowed out some, but still didn’t taste right. I decided to let it age for ~ 4 weeks before I tried a bottle. It has mellowed out some more, but still tastes young. By young, I mean some “off flavors” and a little “watery.” All the batches I have brewed had that same taste as I sampled from stage to stage. Bear in mind that I’m not good at articulating what my taste buds sense. It still taste like a porter, somewhat. I was going to let it age for another 3-4 weeks and try again. If not drinkable….dump it. Or should I let it age more?

Hey there. I brewed my Robust Porter back on February 9th (my thread about it is here), so I might be able to offer some help. I brewed a Brewer's Best Robust Porter kit, the recipe is in the thread.

When I sampled from my hydrometer, after racking to secondary, it was not foul at all, though there was a little hoppiness to it. On bottling day it was maltier, and now that I've had it in bottles for six weeks or so, it's delicious. I'm preparing to crack into one (or two or...) today as I brew my Seattle Pale Ale.

I would definitely recommend letting it sit for a while. After that, if you're still not happy with it, well, it's your beer. But beer would have to be pretty bad for me to dump it. :D

Patience grasshopper.

Let it age.

Soon you'll come back in this thread and say, WOW, I tried another one (weeks from now) and it's FANTASTIC. ;)

NOVA Brewer said:
Hey there. I brewed my Robust Porter back on February 9th (my thread about it is here), so I might be able to offer some help. I brewed a Brewer's Best Robust Porter kit, the recipe is in the thread.

When I sampled from my hydrometer, after racking to secondary, it was not foul at all, though there was a little hoppiness to it. On bottling day it was maltier, and now that I've had it in bottles for six weeks or so, it's delicious. I'm preparing to crack into one (or two or...) today as I brew my Seattle Pale Ale.

I would definitely recommend letting it sit for a while. After that, if you're still not happy with it, well, it's your beer. But beer would have to be pretty bad for me to dump it. :D

Mine was a brewers best kit as well.

I can wait. If it turns out Ok it will give me more variety to choose from.

Latest posts

Back