How much water is needed in a 1 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumo

Reaction score
Hello,

First time mead maker. I just bought 3lbs of Clover Honey From Traders Joes. i want to make a 1 gallon batch of Mead. How much water is needed to make one gallon? I'm going to heat it up to pasturize it, and then let it cool down to pitching temp before I add it to the gallon container. i was going to use a blender to airate it.

-Sumo

Don't heat the honey! Pasteurizing is not necessary. 12#'s of honey is about 1 gallon...

I think I stated my question wrong. I have a 1 gallon glass jug that I want to make a 1 gallon test batch. Never made it before. From what I have read I need 3.2 quarts of water and 3 lbs of honey will make one gallon in the fermenter. Is that correct? I dont need much head space in the jug?

Also you don't need to pasturize the honey?

The amount of water you add is determined by your projected starting gravity. Do you have a hydrometer? Are you adding anything other than honey and water? What do you plan to do for nutrients? Honey is deficient in nutrients and it's difficult to successfully ferment just water and honey. I'd suggest at least tossing in a handful of raisins to give the yeast something to eat.

It would be better to do your primary fermentation in a plastic pail. If not, just add water to about the shoulder of your jug. You'll need 3-4 inches at least depending upon the yeast and any other additives you might be using.

The amount of water you add is determined by your projected starting gravity. Do you have a hydrometer? Are you adding anything other than honey and water? What do you plan to do for nutrients? Honey is deficient in nutrients and it's difficult to successfully ferment just water and honey. I'd suggest at least tossing in a handful of raisins to give the yeast something to eat.

It would be better to do your primary fermentation in a plastic pail. If not, just add water to about the shoulder of your jug. You'll need 3-4 inches at least depending upon the yeast and any other additives you might be using.

this guy is a mead pro - so do as he says.

you can always top up the water after a week to eliminate headspace after initial fermentation subsides.

you'll need the additional nutrient - either the raisins or a commercialy available yeast nutrient. really just follow the suggestions in the sticky at the top of the mead forum and you can't go wrong.
(I did mine seat of the pants style... but after reading the sticky I realized I did do everything mostly right.)
also remember mead production is measured in months not weeks... and aging for some styles can get into YEARS... so take your time and be patient.

Back