One big party bottle--is this possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie884

Reaction score
I am going to throw a "moving-out party" at my house and I wanted to serve some homebrew--but I don't have a traditional kegging system. In the past, I've bottled, but I don't have the time/patience for that with the move. I have a lager (Marzen-style) that will finish lagering soon and I would love to have it all gone at the party (normal, 5 gallon batch). My first thought was a "cask-ale" method, but I'm worried about carbonation levels and temperatures.

Is the following plan feasible?
1. Get a cooler with a screw on top and carbonate the lager in that as if it were one big bottle (use DME/fresh yeast, proper carbonation temps/CO2 pressure estimates).
2. Wait 3 weeks for full carbonation
3. Serve from the cooler using the spigot/gravity to fill the cups (enough people will be there that getting rid of 5 gallons will be no problem)

Are there any unforeseen problems with this method? Other recommendations?

Spend $25 bucks on a single corny keg, a gas out post, six feet of hose, and a cobra/picnic tap... It'll get you started on your way to kegging and it will actually work. That cooler will never hold pressure. Just put your sugar in the keg like one big bottle. Then give it an ice bath in a trash can or whatever when you want to serve.
:mug:

Spend $25 bucks on a single corny keg, a gas out post, six feet of hose, and a cobra/picnic tap... It'll get you started on your way to kegging and it will actually work. That cooler will never hold pressure. Just put your sugar in the keg like one big bottle. Then give it an ice bath in a trash can or whatever when you want to serve.
:mug:

ANd can't you use a small co2 paintball charger that would work with this setup?

THe other option would be a Pressure Barrell, they are a big homebrewing thing in England..you may be able to ebay one in the states...

Like this King Keg Top Tap Pressure Barrel - Home Brewing

Or this style, which looks like you would use sugar and prime...Young's Brew Pressure Barrel 5 Gallon at Wilkinson Plus

if you're going for cheap and easy just use a handful of 2 or 3 liter plastic soda bottles.... for a 5 gallon batch that's just over 6 - 3 liter bottles or 9 - 2 liter bottles and they can definitely hold the pressure.

Tap a Draft system.

or a used corny and $20 for a portable dispenser using small co2 cartridges.

Back