Different Strains of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coryt415

Reaction score
My expirence goes as far as 1 failed real peach wine (horrible yeast taste maybe from sitting on lees to long?) and a welchs concord frozen concentrate (that turned out drinkable but not to fine wine)12 bottles out of 30 left so isent to bad so im going to make one more just to make sure i have everything down pat before using a vintners harvest blue berry fruit base(3 gal full body recipe) anyways i have read about diffrent yeasts and when i did the peach i used cotes de blanc and for my welchs that i could drink i used pasteur champange but i want to use something diffrent this time to see if i can tell a difference like montrachet but can anybody give me a run down on yeasts and do they really make a difference? i always ferment to dryness so i can backsweeten to my taste (usually semi-sweet) but there are many redstar and i cant tell other than the descriptions the difference what do they do to flavor mostly i want to know about he common ones montrachet,pasteur champagne,premeer curvee,ec-1118 not just what the descriptions says.... any extra info from you pros might..i know it prob wont make a difference in my welchs but i want to learn alittle

I know lots of people use better bottles so i prob will start....the glass 6gal i got is just to damn heavy when full...i have to move my wine from were i make it at to rack it.......so also if there is anything i should know about better bottles you can include that also

I found out that the frozen concentrate will bite if you don't let it age. The half gallon jugs is what I use and re bottle back into the containers for drinking. They serve a dual purpose. I caught the welchs peach-white grape on sale and it turned out really good.

Coryt415:

I find that periods break up sentences very well. That being said...

The differences in wine yeast are mainly based on attenuation, i.e., how much alcohol they make before they quit fermenting. Champagne/cuvee yeast are the strongest... they will make the most alcohol (which is not always a good thing). Montrachet and montpelier are good wine yeasts that will poop out about ~13-15% I think -- the actual attenuation should be listed on the yeast manufacturer's website. I've used montrachet mostly for my wines.

If you prefer to ferment to dryness and backsweeten, champagne/cuvee yeast will serve you well... however. Champagne yeast have been known to leave a yeasty flavor behind (which fades with age) as well as making the wine taste "hot" (too much alcohol), so wines using those yeast will be best if aged properly.

I am a wine newb, so I don't know that much, but that's my understanding. Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

My expirence goes as far as 1 failed real peach wine (horrible yeast taste maybe from sitting on lees to long?) and a welchs concord frozen concentrate (that turned out drinkable but not to fine wine)12 bottles out of 30 left so isent to bad so im going to make one more just to make sure i have everything down pat before using a vintners harvest blue berry fruit base(3 gal full body recipe) anyways i have read about diffrent yeasts and when i did the peach i used cotes de blanc and for my welchs that i could drink i used pasteur champange but i want to use something diffrent this time to see if i can tell a difference like montrachet but can anybody give me a run down on yeasts and do they really make a difference? i always ferment to dryness so i can backsweeten to my taste (usually semi-sweet) but there are many redstar and i cant tell other than the descriptions the difference what do they do to flavor mostly i want to know about he common ones montrachet,pasteur champagne,premeer curvee,ec-1118 not just what the descriptions says.... any extra info from you pros might..i know it prob wont make a difference in my welchs but i want to learn alittle

Choose a yeast strain like you would choose a tool. This might help: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp Regards, GF.

Back