Keggle Welded Valve on Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneHotKarl

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm working on improving my keggle now by adding a welded in ball valve. The keggle currently has a welded fitting on the side that has a valve on it, but I would like to use that for a sight glass and then add one on the direct bottom of the keg.

I'll do my best to describe what I'm thinking, as I have seen someone do this before I just can't remember how it was done. It was a valve that was coming out of the lower rim of the keg, they drilled a hole out of the bottom rim and then I assume put a 90deg elbow on the bottom of the keg.

After looking at the bottom it doesn't look like there is enough room to add an elbow and have the keg still be able to sit on its bottom rim flush.

Has anyone here done this? If so any pics. or helpful info? (Hopefully I made enough sense, its hard to explain)

I I didn't think about scorching the wort, but that is a good reason not to add one on the very bottom for the brew kettle. I guess I'll just continue using the one I've got on the side, maybe just add a sight glass.

Thanks for the help!

Just realize that you'll potentially scorch the heck out of your wort if you plan to do this on a boil kettle. It's not a problem on an HLT or recirculated MLT.
I am missing something here. Why would a coupling/valve on the bottom scorch the wort:confused: Charlie

I'm thinking he means the wort the filled the bit of pipe coming from the the valve as it would not get circulated. Although I've not heard of wort getting scorched, only extract. And with a pot like this you're probably doing AG. I don't really see it being a problem. and I don't know (if it happened) how that little wort being scorched would effect a whole batch. and If it did, just dump the first cup of wort when you started draining or recirculating.

I'm thinking he means the wort the filled the bit of pipe coming from the the valve as it would not get circulated. Although I've not heard of wort getting scorched, only extract. And with a pot like this you're probably doing AG. I don't really see it being a problem. and I don't know (if it happened) how that little wort being scorched would effect a whole batch. and If it did, just dump the first cup of wort when you started draining or recirculating.

Got it, thanks

Any wort sitting in that horizontal tube would scorch to the inside of the tube. It would be tough to clean out after each batch and would likely start clogging the whole thing like the wolfman's shower drain.

The reason wort doesn't typically scorch to the bottom of your kettle is because as steam bubbles form, it creates a current that pulls in the cooler wort. No such luck in the tube. That's my theory.

Latest posts

Back