FLAT ALERT! CPBF & force carb... What went wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldbrew

Reaction score
gardyloo!

Here's my problem:
I force carbonated two 5 gal batches in the cornies using the Carbonating Keg Lid from MoreBeer. (link: http://morebeer.com/view_product/18212/) And then filled with a CPBF.
The same day and still, three days later, Im not satisfied with my carb levels
I had called and spoke with a lady at More Beer who instructed me to start forcing at 1-2psi, set timer for 5 minutes and then increase the psi by 1-2 increments until I get to 16, then I give the brew a taste and adjust up or down.

Here's my process:
The first batch, and IPA went smoothly - I ended up taking the PSI to about 23 and then bled out the keg (sprayin starsan into my environment) and switched lids, then hooked up the CPBF (link: http://morebeer.com/view_product/18279/) and got a great flow of beer with a great looking head, filled up as far as i could go in the bottles and then capped them.
Every bottle that exploded upwards when forgetting to release the pressure or turning off the beer line was disposed of into my belly. the carbonation was PERFECT (for both this batch and the second)

Once this batch was completed I force carbed a Vanilla Molasses Porter and ended up being satisfied with about 16 PSI, so I bottled.

Both batches taste AWESOME, Im just completely dissatisfied with the amount of carbonation in each.
If the porter had more bubbs, I would admittedly finish a 5 gallon batch in one weekend.

side notes,
*the beer was cooled to 38F and the bottles were around 40F when the process started
*bottles were capped within 3 seconds of being filled.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be?
Should I overshoot my carb preference (by taste) and THEN bottle?

I dont think many people use the set up you are using. I just hook my gas up at 12 PSI and let it sit a couple weeks and drink.
If I am going to bottle I will usually turn the pressure up on my kegs about 1-2 PSI about 2 days before I plan to bottle.
Sanitize my bottles, put them in the freezer overnight and then bottle with my beer gun. So far no problems.

Latest posts

Back