Help with Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloSabresBrewer

Reaction score
This was originally going to be a post on a craigslist find. I bought an old keg for $5 not a bad deal if you ask me. I assumed it would be almost empty but it was almost completely full (made loading in to the back of my car really fun). It is still all muddy and it is a little dented but I thought it would work until I laid it on its side.

I have worked in bars before and taped many a keg on the rush but I have never used one like this, its an older model. The guy I bought it from said the place he rented it from wouldn't take it back because it was an old style but thats beside the point. Ill try to post some pics tomorrow after I clean it up to show my problem. It seems like there is some sort of a cork in the side. Has anyone ever heard of something like this or how to deal with it? It probably cant handle heat can it? Maybe someone can help after I post a pic but I have no idea how to disassemble it.

If nothing else I want to be able to release the pressure and empty this thing. I guess even if it has to be removed I might be able to have it patched. I am hoping to get it all taken care of at a local welding school for free. Shouldn't be a problem but well see.

Any clue what I should be doing next?

If it makes any difference the brewery it came from is from some where in NY state. I have never heard of it and I live here. Do smaller breweries use different types of kegs?

Well be ready for the storm. If you haven't seen any of the other threads about stolen kegs such as what you just purchased, do a search.

What you have there is a firken. it's a cask used to age a beer then serve using gravity. No carbonation. as in a real ale.

I bought the keg from someone who has had it for a long time because they would not take it back. Really how much more am I supposed to do?

Anyone know how I take take this apart?

It's a cask, not a keg. Is there a ball valve on one end of it? If so, lay it on it's side and use a flat head screw driver to push the ball down, just make sure tha tyou are not standing in front of it. Once the presure is released, you can remove the retaining ring around the top of the ball and it should come apart frome there pretty easily, then dump the nasty beer. Also check out some of the how to's in Yuri Rage's and Bobby_m's signature.

Cheers

Oh yeah and i don't care where anyone gets kegs from, just don't post it up here if you have any shread of doubt that they are not legal.

That cork on the side is a bung. That is where they used to fill the keg in the old days. Your only hope is to take the bung out and have a welder patch the hole, if he can. I wouldn't get my hopes up, if I were you. Also, those old-type kegs don't have any handles on them- how are you going to handle it when it is full of hot wort????

You can have a welder weld the bung hole shut with a piece of stainless steel when he welds your couplings into the keg wall. No problem. No handles - no problem. Why would you want to move a container with 15 gallons of boiling hot wort? I think it will make a great keggle.

Wow I really appreciate the sarcasm from everyone from just asking a question. I'm sorry I don't have the money to drop on new equipment. Your right shunning someone trying to make it with what they have is probably the right thing to do.

haha nice comeback....
yea too easy to get a welder to tig on a SS plate over the bung hole :)
Cahnce are the spear if any in the top is press fit and not held by a ring. It will have to be cut off, angle grinder with a cutting wheel works wonders.
$5 is a great find
Another option is to actually use it as a fermenter,...already has a hole for a rubber bung and airlock

Easy does it Buffalo, you're being a little too sensitive for forum life. It can be a cold cold place when you're noob. Stick to it, grow a skin, and you'll definitely get some value out of the community. Personally, I'd take it to a scrap yard, get your $20, then try to find a legal american Sanke. It'll have a wider bottom for better heat transfer and won't require a bunch of patchwork.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
Wow I really appreciate the sarcasm from everyone from just asking a question. I'm sorry I don't have the money to drop on new equipment. Your right shunning someone trying to make it with what they have is probably the right thing to do.

That's a little bit dramatic, people aren't being that terribly sarcastic. It's just that somebody posts about the keg they found on an almost-daily basis, and while we all want to help each other as much as possible, we have to stay as legit as possible too. Therefore, not many people rush in to help when someone just got a keg from craigslist/the back of a truck/etc.

My absolute best recommendation is to use the Search link at the top of the page, search for "Keggle", and read read read. There's a lot of information out there already.

As for your specific keg, good luck. It's metal, that's a start. An experienced fabricator can probably help you somehow or another. Just try not to hurt yourself dis-assembling the old thing, and you should be just fine.

Best of luck, and happy brewing.

Well I guess I apologize for being dramatic.:drunk: I've just seen some pretty retarded questions asked that were met with less flack.

Mostly at BM's "precise" circular cut, but also at the fact that you could easily lose a finger on it if y're not careful.

Being able to take a joke is very important when on forums on yon intarweb. We all tease BM because he's awesome, and laughs along with us. I hope someday that I might even be the butt of a great joke on HBT. :)

If you want to see some good past jokes, watch people's signatures. Most of the best quotables are Biermuncher's though. :D

I was kidding I see some slight danger. He used a circular saw? I would have gone for a reciprocating but it worked right?

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
I was kidding I see some slight danger. He used a circular saw? I would have gone for a reciprocating but it worked right?

Sawzall. Not the best tool for the job!

EDIT: And you really do need to relax, we tease but it's all in good fun. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

hahaha that's the first time I've seen that keggle........I don't say even the junk yard'll take that sucker back.

I've seen that keggle several time now, and every time I see it I have the same question...Has Biermuncher ever heard of an angle grinder, or a file...heck, I think I'd find a course rock in my driveway to finish that a little before posting it. :cross:

Seriously though, I don't care where you got the keg as long as you don't say "I bought this stolen keg and I was wondering..." As far as I'm concerned as long as you called the police station to see if that particular serial number was reported stolen...oh you say it doesn't have a serial number...well, does anyone know the guy who sold it to you well enough to call him a thief? If not, I believe the proper phrase here would be "Innocent UNTIL proven guilty."

As to your question, I'm to noob to know, but I am pretty darn sure that I could fix it up if it were mine, and I tell everyone that "I'm not a welder, but given enough time I can manage to melt metal together.":drunk:

Good Luck!

Back