Burnt my mash, how to clean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prymal

Reaction score
Last brew session i burnt my mash pretty bad. I got 97% of the burnt stuff out of the bottom of my keggle but how do i clean the rest? or will this small amount not effect my next batch and don't worry about it.

Hot water and PBW/Oxi. Let is soak for several hours...drain it until you can reach the bottom, scrub it by hand...rinse and repeat if neccesary..doesn't look too bad.

If it's REALLY stubborn, heat some water up in your HLT and add it to the hottest tap water you can get from your tap and use PBW. Also, in my first post I neglected to add what Wilserbrewer wisely emphasized: Elbow Grease.

Oh yeah I tossed the wort before I even started to sparge. I could tell it was burnt bad and I was right. After pulling the mash out I had a 2 inch thick chunk of black burnt ****. I made a second batch this weekend based off of the picture above and had no issue with burnt flavor in the wort only time will tell how the beer will come out though. I have 5 gal on us-05 and 5 gal on WLP545.

Cut a lemon in half, squeeze the juice onto the burn, leave to sit for 60 to 90 mins and it'll rub off with your finger. Its magic!! I use it to remove burning/scorching from the element of my buffalo boiler

Back