Disappointed in lagers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problemo, I just added the roasted barley to try to cover up the perceived corn/ rice wang. Didn't work, but without the aftertaste it would be a good beer. Maybe with some more time, it'll come around

I'm gonna stick my wang in my next batch just cause you said that. :p

Time is the key ingredient in lagers IMHO.

I tried to brew a corn lager and it came out tasting really weird. I used the fermentis saflager in the yellow pack is it the s-23?? I forget...

anyways, it tasted like a gnarly gym sock so I left it in the corny in the cellar for about 6 months because I was discouraged and just didn't want to mess with it. basically I forgot all about it until the time came for me to move out of the house 6month later. I had my crew over to help load the truck and we popped that corny of lawnmower beer and I will be damned if it wasn't drinkable AND perfectly carbonated

blew my mind

BTW-- I'm in love with lagers now. I have brewed a schwartz once, a VMO three times and a maerzen once. I can get away with it only once or twice a year between December and April, our local temperatures are perfect and the shop is easy to keep at 45-50. Vigorous fermentation creates enough energy to raise it's own temp about 10F in these 1bbl batches. I prefer the southern german lager yeast because to me it seems "more neutral" and less.... dry or sulfury, if that makes sense. the S-23 is a good example although Cry-Havoc is also an excellent choice if you need to ferment around 60F but want to maintain style correct in your beer flavor.

I just recently started getting into hoppy pilsners after tasting a few rare commercial examples. So I decided to start adding them to the pipe line. My first couple sucked. But now I am getting better at it.

What helped mine the most was building a large starter. Begin your lager starter like you would with any other yeast. But the next day when you goto build it up by repeating what you did the first time, lower the temp. 5 degrees . Keep doing this everyday until you get down to the temp. you want 48° or whatever. Does not have to be exact . My chamber is always filled with other stuff so I just find spots around house ie. mudroom, garage or anyplace that is a little colder each time. Then when I make my beer I cool it all the way to 48° decant and pitch starter that is now same temp as wort. There are other ways to go about it but this works for me.

Back