Hazelnut flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjt112486

Reaction score
I recently was inspired to make a hazelnut brown after having Sam Adams' amazing brew. I'm having trouble getting actual hazelnuts at local stores so I was thinking about using DaVinci's hazelnut syrup. You know, the stuff typically used for flavoring coffee. I was planning on adding it when I add the priming sugar, right before bottling. Has anyone ever used this stuff, or something similar in a beer, and when did you add it?

I have used 1 oz hazelnut flavoring purchased at AHB. 5 Gallon batch. Added with priming sugar at bottling. Came out well.

AHB = Austin Homebrew

Just learned from a local brewer that you should not add any flavoring that has sodium benzoate and/or potassium sorbate. This will kill your yeast, and therefore will not carbonate when bottle conditioning. Whew! Dodged that bullet and have 1 week to make a decision on how I'm going to get the hazelnut flavor...

I used the hazelnut extract from olivenation on eBay in my hazelnut brown ale. Worked good, no issues at all.

I've added flavor extract with no ill side effects for bottle carbing/conditioning. I was also interested in trying to clone Sam adams hazelnut brown. Got it pretty close still working out a few kinks but 2 batches later got it pretty close in.
I used 2 oz for 5gallons and it had a good strong flavor.

Hmm, interesting. Sodium benzoate is only fungistatic under acid conditions.

Potassium sorbate doesn't kill yeast. It prevents yeast reproduction. It's effectiveness is influenced by the ph of the brew.

I really doubt that you would get enough potassium sorbate in a flavoring to cause you any issues with bottle carbing. If it does anything, it would probably just slow things down a little.

And, as always, have nice day. :mug:

Back