Priming sugar for a Belgian strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyQue

Reaction score
Hello all. As the bottling day nears for my belgium strong, I can't help but wonder if the amount of priming sugar i need to use differs from that of a "standard" gravity beer. Usually i would bottle around 1.014ish, but my target for the strong ale is 1.022ish. I would hate to make a war zone in my living room.
Any advice is well accepted!
Cheers.

I did 5oz corn sugar in my belgium quad. My OG was 1.112 and FG 1.030. After 3 months in the bottle it's still carbing up.

The amount of priming sugar you add is based on a few variables (temperature, volume, desired CO2 volumes) but gravity is not one of them. There are plenty of priming calculators, Google around for some.

And please... Belgium is a noun, Belgian is the adjective. You're making Belgian beers, not Belgium beers. ;)

Lol. Grammar was never my strong point! Thanks for the info. Will prolly bottle my belgian today.
Cheers

Strongarm is right though, it usually takes a while for the stronger beers to carb up. But you definitely don't want to compensate by adding more sugar, then as the beer ages out it'll become overcarbonated. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back