Anybody use software?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Fat

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of coming up with a software program as a portfolio project / time killer, and I'd like to make it have something to do with homebrewing. It'll be freeware of course as I'm a student and in no position to charge for my little projects. There are already three or four popular homebrewing programs on the market, and the ones I've tried (Strange Brew, and Promash) seem to be great programs. So, there's really no need for another recipe formulator / database.

I'd appreciate anybody's ideas for a program that would have to do with homebrewing. Of the things suggested to me by friends so far, the two I like best are:

1. A PDA application that you can download your recipe to (including times for everything). This way you could take your recipe to the garage / basement / wherever-you-brew, and make on the spot corrections or adjustments. It would also be able to alarm you about things (eg. "Time to start heating your sparge water", or "Time to add 2oz of Cascades").

2. An online version of a recipe database / formulator (with a nice pretty front-end). That way, it would be platform independent.

Anybody have any ideas?? Either a revision or improvement on those two, or something completely different... I'm open

Thanks!!!

Uncle Fat said:
So I'm thinking of coming up with a software program as a portfolio project / time killer, and I'd like to make it have something to do with homebrewing. It'll be freeware of course as I'm a student and in no position to charge for my little projects. There are already three or four popular homebrewing programs on the market, and the ones I've tried (Strange Brew, and Promash) seem to be great programs. So, there's really no need for another recipe formulator / database.

I'd appreciate anybody's ideas for a program that would have to do with homebrewing. Of the things suggested to me by friends so far, the two I like best are:

1. A PDA application that you can download your recipe to (including times for everything). This way you could take your recipe to the garage / basement / wherever-you-brew, and make on the spot corrections or adjustments. It would also be able to alarm you about things (eg. "Time to start heating your sparge water", or "Time to add 2oz of Cascades").

2. An online version of a recipe database / formulator (with a nice pretty front-end). That way, it would be platform independent.

Anybody have any ideas?? Either a revision or improvement on those two, or something completely different... I'm open

Thanks!!!

I love the PDA idea.....best I can do so far is a Word document for each recipe....just to take to the homebrew shop...for a shopping list. As for an on-line formulator, check this out: http://hbd.org/recipator/

I like the PDA idea too, if only for the alarms...forgetting to heat sparge water is my middle name. I know it's a weird name, but my folks are strange.

I use SUDS currently. It's been around forever in many versions. It keeps track of my recipes and notes and is a good recipe calculator too.

I downloaded SUDS, but have not used it yet. It appears to be a good program for tracking recipes that you have. It is worth a look.
I need to check in to the database format it uses for backup purposes. I would like the ability to move from one computer to another and not loose all my information if the computer all of a sudden dies.

I've been using QBrew because its free and works really quite well on Mac OSX, Linux, and Windows.

Although I no longer have a PDA, I'd love a way to quickly adjust recipes when I find out that the shop I visit no longer has Maris Otter and I need a substitute. or if Amarillo are sold out so double Cascades or something. This really isn't much of a complex program as much as a reference, but its an idea.

Back