Who's my Chicago homebrewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arlington Heights

So, the next question for all of us.... what do you do with your water?

I brew all grain, and I use the Chicago city water from the tap. Only two things I do is run it through a whole-house carbon water filter as it goes into my HLT/mash tun and I add a little CaCl to the mash. That's it, and my beers taste great!

Northwest suburbs: Schaumburg

I just use a charcoal-based filter to remove chlorine and other nasties. Haven't had a problem with off tastes...yet (knocks on wood).

Ditto for the carbon filter. Our water in the Western burbs goes through 3 different treatment plants before it reaches us, so I can't be certain there's no chrloramines in it. They all say they use pure chlorine gas, but during certain times of the year or certain conditions they boost it with chloramines. So I just add 1/2 campden tablet, crushed, to be safe.

For those on Lake Michigan water, it's extremely soft.

By aggregating the reports from the 3 facilities, here's my guess at my water. It fluctuates with the seasons, but it's a decent baseline I think.
~30ppm Calcium
~12ppm Magnesium
~8ppm Sodium
~15 Chloride
~30 Sulfate
~100 effective alkalinity

So similar to Suds, I usually boost with CaCl (~3g for 5g batch) and CaSO4 (~1g for 5g batch). I've had great results. My mash pH is probably too high for light-colored / weaker beers, so I may start adding some acidulated malt or lactic acid, especially for my hefes.

Re: water, I use tap water run through a faucet-mounted carbon filter. I recently started adding gypsum to some of my hoppier beers, but for most styles I think the water's great.

Have you been to Bev art on western ave southside? pretty good selection.

It's been a while but I have been there. The people there were really helpful, they just didn't have everything I needed.

How about some updated Chicagoland LHBS reviews? There's a thread from '06 I think, but not much recently. OP: I don't want to hijack your thread. Feel free to tell me to put this somewhere else, just thought it'd be beneficial for all us Chicagoans.

Brewer's Coop (@Two Brothers Brewery)
Great prices, but very poorly & sporadically stocked. Decent selection of grains & adjuncts, mostly 1-5# bags. Almost non-existent hop selection. Good selection of White Labs yeast, and sell "expired" yeast for $3 each. Carries most basic equipment. Since it's really a giftshop attached to the restaurant, staff has little knowledge of homebrewing or inventory.

Chicagoland Winemakers in Elmhurst
Mostly a wine store, but decent beer stock. Typical basic grain selection (pre-packaged, Hop Union hops, most yeast brands dry & liquid, good equipment section. A little on the pricey side.

HomeBrewShop in St. Charles
Outstanding selection. I drool whenever I walk into this store; they have everything you need at fair prices. Great equipment selection, from basics to Blichmann. Great hop selection (Hop Union) 1oz and 1# packages. Most yeast brands, dry & liquid. Phenomenal grain selection: pre-packaged 1-5#, crushed or uncrushed, bags of bulk base malt, and bins in the back where you can assemble custom recipes. They'll measure & crush for you at no charge. Helpful staff.

Fox Valley Homebrew
Have not been.

Brew & Grow Roselle
Outstanding selection with very competitive prices. Tons of equipment from basic to advanced. Hop Union hops (1oz only I believe). Most yeast brands, dry & liquid. Full and robust selection of grain, but only pre-packaged (crushed or uncrushed), 1# bags are the smallest. Also sell bags of base malt. Most staff are homebrewers and are knowledgeable. Typically brewing on Saturday and offer samples.

There is a new one that is opening by the Limestone brewery in Plainfield
http://www.chicagobrewwerks.com/ - I have not been, but I guess the owner participates in the PALE brewers club that meets at Limestone.

TyTanium said:
Brew & Grow
Roselle

Outstanding selection with very competitive prices. Tons of equipment from basic to advanced. Hop Union hops (1oz only I believe). Most yeast brands, dry & liquid. Full and robust selection of grain, but only pre-packaged (crushed or uncrushed), 1# bags are the smallest. Also sell bags of base malt. Most staff are homebrewers and are knowledgeable. Typically brewing on Saturday and offer samples.

Was just in here today, as they are the closest to me.

Very friendly and helpful whenever I have any questions.

They are in the midst of improving their selection of specialty grains and have added a lot of equipment and parts.

My biggest gripe is the lack of options when it comes to buying grain in any other quantity than 1 or 5 lb. bags.

Other than that, they are my "go to" supply shop when I need something I can't wait for, thru online ordering.

kerant said:
I did check that one on line but it seemed more orientated to wine. It has a good selection of grains, hops etc.. ?

Yeah, Bev art had a great of selection grain and hops, white labs yeast. Rebuilt pin lock kegs for 39$.

River North.

The closest LHBS I have is Brew and Grow on morgan. I find myself ordering from Midwest and Northern all the time .

West Lakeview here (Lincoln/Addison). I typically go to the brew and grow by kedzie and elston because I usually have a steady stream of gift cards (and free beer samples of what they brew doesn't hurt). I've heard good things of brew camp and will have to force myself in there next time!

cheers chicago

I'm at Bev art- and it looks like they got a new mill.

NW Indiana... step up to the bar!

Closest LHBS is Brew and Blooms on Calumet Ave in Hammond... but when the pipeline's light I drive 5 minutes to Three Floyds.

Artimus, it sounds like you're right down the street from me.

Ravenswood.

Brew & Grow on Kedzie - I'm a little tired of their apparent lack of friendliness when it comes to questions about brewing.

Brew & Grow on Morgan - so far, these guys are super friendly and eager to help. I'm usually there during the day and they are fairly slow and have time to chit chat. Plus they sometimes offer hot dogs along with beer samples.

Brew Camp - Really nice people (and dog) and walkable to where I live. Small appearance but they've always had what I need. Be sure to ask for the drill when crushing your grains in their mill. I did half of mine by hand and it was a pain.

Austin Home Brew - online retailer where I order the majority of my recipes. You can specify exact amounts of grains and they will crush and combine into a single bag if you want it that way. Flat rate shipping is competitive and hops availability has always been great.

Just a follow up on this thread. Where do folks get their co2 tanks filled and is there a place to get a beer gas mix for a stout pour?

Just a follow up on this thread. Where do folks get their co2 tanks filled and is there a place to get a beer gas mix for a stout pour?

I go to NFC (2944 N Leavitt). It's expensive - $20 for 5lbs - but it's the closest place to me I've found that will refill CO2 tanks rather than exchange. NFC also does beer gas, and they carry miscellaneous brewing/kegging hardware.

If anyone knows of alternatives in the city, let me know!

Hanover Park here....
I mostly do Austin online, Brew and go in roselle is the closest, Chicago winemakers in Elmhurst is ok.

Ravenswood.
Austin Home Brew - online retailer where I order the majority of my recipes. You can specify exact amounts of grains and they will crush and combine into a single bag if you want it that way. Flat rate shipping is competitive and hops availability has always been great.

cheers to my fellow chicagoans :mug:

I go to NFC (2944 N Leavitt). It's expensive - $20 for 5lbs - but it's the closest place to me I've found that will refill CO2 tanks rather than exchange. NFC also does beer gas, and they carry miscellaneous brewing/kegging hardware.

If anyone knows of alternatives in the city, let me know!

same here...other nice thing is they'll exchange when you're out of date, so if you have an ugly steel tank like me, you don't have to wait for it to be sent out and tested

Northwest Burbs here!

The homebrew store reviews:

Brewers Coop...Went there twice, like another poster said, sporatic inventory. It's more than likely they do NOT have what you need. They are working on this though, so maybe it changes in the future.

St. Charles Homebrew shop...I like this place, but their prices are a bit high. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. If you're a beginner, this is the place to go since you can get good advice from friendly people.

Fox Valley Homebrew...Sorry, but this place is terrible. I haven't been in a couple years, but their prices were really high and the staff was less than knowledgeable, although friendly. When my buddy and I started brewing, we went to this place...the info we gathered from them was incorrect and exaggerated. We bought equipment we didn't even need based on their recommendations. Not to mention we would go there during their stated business hours for supplies to brew and they would be closed...huge turn off. After my first visit to the STC shop, I never looked back.

Brew N Grow Roselle...Best prices, friendly staff. Not the most knowledgeable on brewing, but they know enough. If you have a pretty good idea of what your doing then this is the place for you. My go to lhbs.

Bev Art Is on Western ave maybe 101st. they are great. They have always had everything I have needed. Small shop lots of stuff!

Bev Art Is on Western ave maybe 101st. they are great. They have always had everything I have needed. Small shop lots of stuff!

I love Bev Art, but I'm in Portage Park and Beverly might as well be in another city.

Edgewater here.
I also like Brew Camp. I like that they will sell you grains in any amount (whether 1oz or 10lbs), same for hops. The guys there have always been very helpful. They're not open on Mondays so I will sometimes go to Brew and Grow on Kedzie. Inconsistent customer service there but they do have most everything you could possibly need.

Brew Camp is my go to when I need stuff.!

Just a short walk from my house, and right by Resi's Bierstube. It's my place now. I can email my order, and they'll have it ready for pickup. SUPPORT LOCAL!

TheMan said:
Northwest Burbs here!

The homebrew store reviews:

Brewers Coop...Went there twice, like another poster said, sporatic inventory. It's more than likely they do NOT have what you need. They are working on this though, so maybe it changes in the future.

St. Charles Homebrew shop...I like this place, but their prices are a bit high. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. If you're a beginner, this is the place to go since you can get good advice from friendly people.

Fox Valley Homebrew...Sorry, but this place is terrible. I haven't been in a couple years, but their prices were really high and the staff was less than knowledgeable, although friendly. When my buddy and I started brewing, we went to this place...the info we gathered from them was incorrect and exaggerated. We bought equipment we didn't even need based on their recommendations. Not to mention we would go there during their stated business hours for supplies to brew and they would be closed...huge turn off. After my first visit to the STC shop, I never looked back.

Brew N Grow Roselle...Best prices, friendly staff. Not the most knowledgeable on brewing, but they know enough. If you have a pretty good idea of what your doing then this is the place for you. My go to lhbs.

Brand new shop in Plainfield called Chicago Brew Works is awesome. Only 4 months old. Owner is really nice, helpful, and takes time to get to know you.

Hey all,

Huntly here. There are a few homebrew shops I've been to that haven't been mentioned.

Brew and grow, Crystal Lake: Also the warehouse for the local stores. Good selection, prices ok; I was put off by a refractometer they wanted $120. Ended up getting mine from NB'er for $60 or so. Always have beers on tap, knowledgeable staff, John specifically, who is the brewer there.

Brew and grow, Rockford: What I've really liked about this location is the very friendly and knowledgeable staff. I don't know who's brewing there, but they usually have 4 beers on tap and they are (IMO) always fantastic. I usually stop in when I'm in the area. Typically I'll find something to buy (as most hombrewers would), but I really just want a the samples!

Crystal Lake Health Foods: Smaller shop with an ok selection of grains, yeast, hops. Usually will have most of what you're looking for. Prices ok. There's really no one there to help with brewing questions except the owner, Dave, as far as I can tell, though he's not the most experienced brewer. I do like that fact that they will let you buy any quantity of grains (split bags).

Perfect Brewing (or Perfect Brewing Supply?): This place is on 176, I believe it's in Libertyville. I happened to be driving by (I travel locally for work), and stopped in on the way back from my appointment. I needed some siphon tubing--7/16" ID. They appeared to have a decent selection, though I didn't really check it out thoroughly as I was in a time crunch. I did buy my tubing--40 cents per foot! I may be wrong but thought that was a great price. It's $1.50/foot at Norther Brewer. The employee that was there was very friendly.

I've been to most of the other shops mentioned, other than the ones in the city proper.

If anyone in the area would like to trade some beers at some point, please PM me!

Western 'burbs (Clarendon Hills) checking in..

So Who here does NOT add anything to their water? I am on two brews since moving to Chicago land.. first one is just ready now and is tasting good for green beer..

Western 'burbs (Clarendon Hills) checking in..

So Who here does NOT add anything to their water? I am on two brews since moving to Chicago land.. first one is just ready now and is tasting good for green beer..

I don't, but I don't use my water. I use a combination of spring and distilled water when partial mashing (most of what I brew to date) given the combination of grains / extract.

Using Palmer's spreadsheet I've worked out my water additions for my first all grain batch; I'm going to start with distilled water.

Back