Had my 1st Gusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razyrsharpe

Reaction score
last night i was testing the conditioning of my porter (bottled 8 days) when i opened a flip top / grolsch style bottle. there was about 2 inches of airspace from beer line to cap, but when i popped the top, LOTS of white smoke followed by about 1/3 of the beer in the bottle.
i primed with 3/4 cup of sugar, as directions state.
the beer was flat by the time it cooled in the fridge.
should i have cooled the beer prior to opening?
how can i avoid this problem in the future.

How could you NOT know that opening a warm beer would do that? I'll bet you gave it some rough handling just prior to opening too? Like fumble it a bit due to you nervousness brought on by the big occassion? (no need to ask me how I know ;)

Some here will blame the excessive air. One inch is generally the max headspce, 1/2" is adequite. But next time, cool it before opening, not after...

My first spewed a fountain of Belgian style wheat 2' straight up. By the time it quit, there was less than 4 oz left in the 750ml bottle. It had been relatively well restrained in the trunk of the car for several hours on a 40 degree day.

I chilled the next one for a few hours before opening and it was fine. Tasted pretty good, too. But then I realized that I haven't had a proper Belgian to compare it to in so long, I realized I'd better go get one. On todays' to do list.

casebrew said:
How could you NOT know that opening a warm beer would do that? I'll bet you gave it some rough handling just prior to opening too? Like fumble it a bit due to you nervousness brought on by the big occassion? (no need to ask me how I know ;)

Some here will blame the excessive air. One inch is generally the max headspce, 1/2" is adequite. But next time, cool it before opening, not after...

normally i DON'T open warm beer. don't know why i did this time, except maybe nervous excitement...(think kid at christmas time). i won't next time! so, is it the general consensus that cooling the beer will reduce the possibility of volcanic eruption?

Funniest gusher I ever saw was back in the 80's when 5th ave flavored selzer water was new. Dad opened a warm one and over 2/3rd's of the bottle launched all over and was even on the ceiling. Was frikn funny.

Back