NewB with ?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PimpHandBrew

Reaction score
Hello, just signed up and was searching for some info about my first LME brew kit from Coopers. It came with the kit, so figured, what the hay. Well, since I am new to this whole Home Brew thing and really want to learn as much as possible to be able to brew a DGB (damn good beer). So, to my question, I just mixed all ingredients as directed, well, pitched yeast before taking a reading, duh, and i have what i have learned to call trub?? on the bottom after maybe a hour and a half. Is this normal? It looks like the dextrose i added earlier in the mixing stage, but I made darn sure i mixed everything up. I did mix in the yeast after sprinkling it on top of the foam, and then took a reading (duh) and got 1.035. Am i going in the right direction?
Thanks for any help
James
:rockin:

I got the OS lager kit with my micro brew kit from Cooper's. made it to directions & got OG1.048. But I mixed the heck out of the wort & top off water. It doesn't mix well just pouring it all in. But some of the grainy stuff does settle out quick. So I don't think it's the sugar. I got the cooper's brewing sugar with mine. It's 80% dextrose,20% maltodextrin for better mouth feel. You usually take the SG reading before pitching,but since you took it immediately after,you should be ok.
And try to keep the ferment temps down to 65-70F,it'll be cleaner. I came up with a recipe that my wife used to turn the OS lager can into an SA summer ale clone.

Back