feeling sick when i drink my homebrew..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxpxer7

Reaction score
I did a PM brew, its a wheat beer. Everytime I drink it, and not just me everyone who has tried it, we get sick.. The first beer is good, taste fine smells good but once you have beer 2 you start feeling nauseous.. Do you think its infected or have you ever experienced this?

How much THC was dissolved into it? Sounds like it creeps up and hits pretty hard. Just ride it out and listen to some Marley.

IMHO Yeast, unfermentable grains and non-filtered beer can do a number on your stomach. HB can take a little getting use to. Doesn't make it bad.

Jip.......... you need to stop drinking it......... and send me the whole keg/case!

IMHO Yeast, unfermentable grains and non-filtered beer can do a number on your stomach. HB can take a little getting use to. Doesn't make it bad.

Agreed. I remember a transition period when I first started homebrewing. With me it was gas, lots of gas. Now that's no longer a problem. You're probably not used to consuming the yeast and your digestive system needs to adjust.

Agreed. I remember a transition period when I first started homebrewing. With me it was gas, lots of gas. Now that's no longer a problem. You're probably not used to consuming the yeast and your digestive system needs to adjust.

Yup. I just kept telling SWMBO my body would adjust. There were some sleepless nights. Yeesh!

I too would get headaches after drinking my first few home brews. I pour all mine into a glass and leave the last little bit in the bottle to prevent consuming all that yeast. I did get used to it and it is no longer a problem.

Perhaps you and your friends only drank rice beer, you're all celiacs, and now you're ingesting lots of gluten-rich malted grain beer?
Just lobbing guesses here...

Are you bottle conditioning and drinking the dregs? Just asking. Sometimes I pour the whole bottle into my glass, dregs and all, since yeast doesn't bother me and I'm curious as to what it does to the taste.

I'm guessing that it was fermented at too warm of a temperature so its full of hot, solventy fusel alcohols.

It is also probably only given 2 weeks fermentation time (or so) so it hasn't sufficiently aged to allow proper fermentation clean-up to occur so its full of off-flavors as as well as the above-mentioned fusels have not been allowed to mellow.

Lastly, because it wasn't allowed to ferment fully, there are tons of yeast still in suspension which can be rough on the digestive system, especially those that don't see alot of fermented foods in their diet.

Am I on the right track here?

I'm guessing that it was fermented at too warm of a temperature so its full of hot, solventy fusel alcohols.

This. My first Hefe, I didn't get temps down and pitched at 80 and fermented around 78. 1 or 2 of those things were all you could handle between headache and stomach issues. It was like drinking rocket fuel

It's infected.

WITH YEAST!

Seriously, it just sounds like there is too much yeast in there for your noob stomach. I suggest letting it sit for about 3 weeks in the primary fermenter and then cold crashing (gently sticking the fermenter in a fridge) for like 3 days. Then bottle.

This will help keep the amount of yeast and/or whatever else to a minimum. This should lessen the effect. The good news is that your stomach will adjust to the amount of stuff you are consuming and you ought have much less of a problem as time goes on.

Theory is that a younger beer not only has more yeast, but potentially more unfermented sugars, which could also be the culprit. More time fermenting means less of these sugar and more of the yeast settles to the bottom.

How long in primary? how long bottle conditioning? I do 1 month and 1 month, always get a tight little yeast cake at the bottom of the bottle that won't pour out. Get every last drop of malted goodness without any neasea at all.

I usually fridge my ales for 5-6 days. That's after 3-5 weeks in boxes at room temp conditioning. But this time,I had 3 different ales of mine left in the fridge for some 2 weeks. The head was way finer/thicker. Like foamy marangue or something. Very thick. Good carbonation On my IPA. Way better 2" head on the Whiskely ale,nice steady carbonation. A little better on the EB,maybe .5" tops,low carbonation to style. A bit too low for me,but I did read bottled EB's have higher carbonation.
So 2 weeks in the fridge looks to make better,thicker head & better/steadier carbonation. I think the malt flavors got a bit smoother &/or creamier as well...just a little. Just thought you folks might find my latest observations interesting.:mug:

One thing that noone's mentioned that is important to note is that nothing pathogenic can grow in beer. Even if a beer is infected, it can't actually harm you.

Like everyone is saying, more than likely you and your friends are not used to the high concentration of yeast in the wheat beer you were drinking.

Yeah,after all that I forgot to mention that I let it settle in primary till only slightly hazy,to quite clear. Rack onto priming solution in the bottling bucket & bottle for the times I mention in my previous post. And that two weeks in the fridge allows nearly all the ale to be poured off into the glass.
That leaves a very clear beer that should be better on your innards. Save for the aforementioned gas,& you'll get acclimated after a time with that too.
Sorry I forgot to mention these things.

I felt the same way when I first got stationed in Bavaria and starte dringing the Weisen. Gassy gassy gassy. My wife hated me. But I couldn't get enough. So I +1 the yeasty culprits.

woah this helps a lot. I think i had sort of a wombo combo goin on here..

It fermented in a warm setting, didn't have the equipment to monitor it at the time id say about 74 degrees... (have a nice thermometer now)

It was in the bottles primary 1 week, secondary 1 week, bottles for 2 weeks. Then refrigerated.

and my stomach isn't used to the yesties

Latest posts

Back