When to start training vines onto string?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejiro

Reaction score
So I'm in Florida and decided to give hop growing a whirl and set up a pretty neat trellis. I have a 2x4 that I crewed on one side if the yard with a cross beam and another on the other side of the yard that I'm going to thread hop yarn across to have them grow.

My question is at what height is a good time to start training the sprouts on to he yarn?

Tia
Ken

I started training mine at about 8 inches to a foot high....If you start to early your just going to have to keep training them until they are high enough to start wrapping themselves around the string

Cool thanks for the info. That is what I had thought but wasn't sure

you should be training the second growth not the first (unless they are first year plants)With first year as soon as you can.The first will race up the rope and not produce as much Cheers Glen

Can someone explain how you train them?

Also, someone just gave me some rhizomes and I am planting them sunday. Is it to late, should I even bother?

No not to late.I will be planting 2.5 acres in mid june.Heck I found some hidden in the back of the fridge from a mixed up order in last August,planted them around the stage and they are back up this year

Can someone explain how you train them?

Also, someone just gave me some rhizomes and I am planting them sunday. Is it to late, should I even bother?

--Right from the website i posted...

Only 2-3 vines should be trained onto each string with 2 strings per plant. All subsequent vines, which can be extensive with older plants should be cut off. Vines are ready to be trained when they are about 12" long and must be gently wrapped clockwise onto the string without kinking. Once trained, the vine will take care of itself unless you want the vine to grow horizontally, this must be done manually.

Should there be 2 seperate strings or do you use 2 strings to make one? So cut all the other vines off except for the 2 or 3? Why is that, won't the other vines produce hops?

when you start to train them can you wrap them around the string once and hold it in place with a zip tie to get them going?

Should there be 2 seperate strings or do you use 2 strings to make one? So cut all the other vines off except for the 2 or 3? Why is that, won't the other vines produce hops?

when you start to train them can you wrap them around the string once and hold it in place with a zip tie to get them going?

the object is to get the 2-3 main vines to really grow well and produce the most hops. If the plant has x amount of output, the more its spread out over each vine the less its going to do total. With only 2-3 you will get vigorous growth and output as well as cone development which is what your looking for.

I use one string and it worked well. If your afraid of weight you can always use two.....

How important is the type of string, I keep reading about coconut husk but I already own different types

As long as the bines can get a grip and the lines won't rot the type of line is not important...

Cheers!

I think what he was aiming at might have been geared towards overall weight of the plant. Come harvest, you'll have 20-30 lbs of leaf, bine, and cones to take into consideration. Making sure that you have a suitable support line is key to make sure that you harvest anything.

Ah, well, I might have misinterpreted the crux of the question (it's happened before ;) )

I use coir as the stuff is unbelievably hardy for such a coarse twine. Keep it out of the ground and it lasts for years. If I had to guess it would be "quarter inch" (though it's certainly not that thick except maybe in short sections - it is pretty rough stuff after all).

20-30 pounds for a mature plant seems about right, the coir handles that with aplomb, the bines are like kittens on curtains with it, and I'm on my fourth season with the same 20' drops. Love the coir! :mug:

Cheers!

Ah, well, I might have misinterpreted the crux of the question (it's happened before ;) )

I use coir as the stuff is unbelievably hardy for such a coarse twine. Keep it out of the ground and it lasts for years. If I had to guess it would be "quarter inch" (though it's certainly not that thick except maybe in short sections - it is pretty rough stuff after all).

20-30 pounds for a mature plant seems about right, the coir handles that with aplomb, the bines are like kittens on curtains with it, and I'm on my fourth season with the same 20' drops. Love the coir! :mug:

Cheers!

Next year I will be investing in some, if only because I was later in getting things taken care of this season. I'm still using sisal twine, and I planted a Cascade rhizome this year that is about 6" away from the 17" tie off mark.

Back