Coriander in the Secondary (Crush or No Crush?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XanderBrew

Reaction score
I want to add Coriander into my Summer Citrus wheat in the secondary, (was planning during the boil, but it was too late before I realized I had it still in the spice rack).

My question is do I have to crush them in the secondary or can they go in whole?

I made a spiced Belgian ale with ginger and coriander. I used half an ounce of coriander seed and crushed them in a ziploc bag before adding them to the boil at 10 minutes. The flavor was very mild by the time I bottled, almost undetectable. I would suggest crushing them before adding to the secondary to maximize the flavor.

I already have bitter and sweet orange peel that went into the boil at 5 minutes. It smells good but I think I am still going to add the crushed coriander for an extra kick. I will probably use a small hop bag or muslin bag to keep the seed shells from either floating around or clogging up my bottling tube.

Just like in cooking, doing things like dry-roasting spices, rubbing dry green herbs and cracking/crushing seed based spices all help to release the essential oils from them. And give you more bang for the buck.

I use a mortar and pestle for the grains of paradise along with the coriander seeds for my wits. The smell was amazing.

A baggie and rolling pin is a really effective way to crush them.

I use a mortar and pestle for the grains of paradise along with the coriander seeds for my wits. The smell was amazing.

A baggie and rolling pin is a really effective way to crush them.

Coffee grinder is another way. Just throw them in and wazz 'em up.

FYI there are two types of coriander seed:
1) indian light green, football shaped, lemony taste - better choice and used in brewing Hoegaarden from the Thirsty Traveler TV series.
2) western brown, round, soapy taste

Make a tea from crushed indian coriander seeds then add the liquid only to control the flavor impact. Can add more tea to taste just before bottling and/or citrus extract. Once made an overly strong western coriander flavored beer by adding the crushed brown seeds directly. Had to call it coriander beer for the masses to drink.

Latest posts

Back