Going to Milwaukee next weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Months and months ago when I bought tickets for Les Miserables, I didn't realize it was Easter weekend. But next Friday, we're meeting an old friend in Milwaukee for drinks and the play, and then Saturday is open. We're staying downtown, and prefer not to drive (as we are pretty serious beer guzzlers!). Aside from a Brewer's game on Saturday (which my friend has no interest in), what's a good Saturday activity downtown? I'd actually like to go do a Miller Brewery tour, but I don't think I can talk the guys into it. We've done Lakefront/Sprecher/etc a few times, been the the museum more than a couple times, and I HATE shopping.

Any ideas?

Come up to Eldorado and have some homebrews with me.

EDIT: Seriously, go to the museum. I have been dying to see the exhibit of Mummies of the
World, but don't think I will make it. You might need advance tickets, though.

You been to the Harley Museum?

I can save the hour of your life and sum up the Miller tour in about a minute.

Miller promotional film
stare at 485 barrel kettle
stare at bottling line through glass window
stare at beer in warehouse
walk across street
go into old lagering cave that has been completely remodeled as to not resemble a lagering cave anymore
sit in bar-like tap room and drink 3 free beers, the first of which must be miller lite

Wave to me as you go through Manitowoc!

I have to agree about going to Mummies of the World at the MPM. It was well worth going even after going through the museum a few times.

Ever done The Safe House spy bar? Would the UWM planetarium be too nerdy? Pabst mansion tour?

I usually rely on onmilwaukee.com for some day of trip planning.

Wave to me as you go through Manitowoc!

I have to agree about going to Mummies of the World at the MPM. It was well worth going even after going through the museum a few times.

Ever done The Safe House spy bar? Would the UWM planetarium be too nerdy? Pabst mansion tour?

I usually rely on onmilwaukee.com for some day of trip planning.

Good suggestions all! I've been to the Safe House more than once- we usually take friends who have never been there. I think you guys may have convinced me to check out the MPM again- it's been a while, and the Mummies of the World sounds great.

Bob lived in Milwaukee, after grad school and while Steve(the friend) was in law school at Marquette. Some of the things they remembered as fun probably aren't so much for me!

I worked at a place called AJ Bombers and they have the best burgers I have ever had. They won the travel channel's food wars for Milwaukee. If you are down on water street you should definitely go check it out. Plus they carry a few good beers.

I've always said to myself that if I ever made it to Milwaukee, I would visit the City Lounge in Cudahy (south Milwaukee near the airport) because it is the one place I know of that you can get III Dachshunds brew. I'm quite curious to check out this microbrewery's product.

http://www.cityloungesmokefree.com/

http://www.3dachshundsbeer.com/

I'm biased because my dog is a black and tan mini dachshund named Otto and this brewery has a beer called "Otto's Oatmeal Stout"

ottosBeer.jpg

Have you been to Sprecher http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/index.php?

Maybe Northern Brewer if you need to get a little something-something.

Nice beer selection at http://www.bombshelterbar.com/ in Walker's Point

http://ale-house.com/ in the 3rd Ward

http://www.stackedbar.com/ also in the 3rd Ward has good burgers.

http://www.discountliquorinc.com/ if you can't get those "hard to find" beers by you.

Outside of that, I'm no help for actually finding something to do. I've got my own honey-do list to keep me busy.

I moved from Milwuakee a few months ago, but I have to respectfully disagree with MSOE. Soblemans is the much better burger :)
Go to Leons for custard.
Go to Kopps for custard, see where im goin with this?

The Domes are pretty cool.
Harley Museum, i think its still 16 bucks, the bikes are awesome and if its nice out, you can check out the rides that people bring to go there up front.
Pizza Piper Organ, im pretty sure is one of a kind. If it isnt, its still amazing. The pizza isnt the best but where else can you go where an organ plays.

I'm familiar with most of the things mentioned, and we won't be going to Palm Tavern or Roman's (my favorite places), as no one wants to drive!

We love the Ale House, and will definitely be there on Saturday. I'm not sure about that domes in April, but that's a thought! We always hit up Discount Liquors. I forgot about Northern Brewer now in Milwaukee, though- that's a definite "must do" too! Thanks!!!!!

Not a problem.

What time will you be at the Ale house? If I'm free (doubt it), I'd gladly buy you a brew :mug:

I'd love that! Well, I can buy my own beer, but I'd love to meet up if you're available! PM me a phone number and I'll be glad to give you a quick call when we're down there, or on our way!

+1 on the mummies exhibit. I really thought it was one of the better ones in recent years.

After seeing the food wars we went to both soblemans and Aj bombers. They both have their merits. Soblemans' buns are amazing, but bombers sides are better.

Consider going to discovery world. Their aquarium is pretty cool. And they have a new thirst lab (not sure if it's open to public yet) where we attended a historical brewing series.

Otherwise consider trinity three Irish pubs.... Best Irish food in town, great atmosphere and local microbrews on tap (they are part of the water street brewery chain of establishments)

+1 on the mummies exhibit. I really thought it was one of the better ones in recent years.

After seeing the food wars we went to both soblemans and Aj bombers. They both have their merits. Soblemans' buns are amazing, but bombers sides are better.

Consider going to discovery world. Their aquarium is pretty cool. And they have a new thirst lab (not sure if it's open to public yet) where we attended a historical brewing series.

Otherwise consider trinity three Irish pubs.... Best Irish food in town, great atmosphere and local microbrews on tap (they are part of the water street brewery chain of establishments)

Oh, yes- we've been to Trinity many times! The three of us have gone to Milwaukee at least annually together, sometimes several times a year. Steve really liked it!

screw AJ Bombers. that place has been around for what, 10 months? They should have at least got another milwaukee burger institution like Solly's in the comp.

Yoop - we got a bachelor party going to miller on saturday! hilarious.

go to Sugar Maple in bayview. 50+ micros on tap, they have 3-4 handpumps but they're not always on. bomb shelter is decent, but only 5 taps, everything else is bottles. play a lot of punk music, which I like, others might not.

you're coming down 43? Take the mequon exit, go 10 minutes west and give me a call and we'll have a few.

edit: i lied, sugar maple has 60

wtf? kirin, stop down on grand and vernon. we'll have one

i almost bought the house on alta loma and friestadt. wife wanted to live on grand.

screw AJ Bombers. that place has been around for what, 10 months? They should have at least got another milwaukee burger institution like Solly's in the comp.

Yoop - we got a bachelor party going to miller on saturday! hilarious.

go to Sugar Maple in bayview. 50+ micros on tap, they have 3-4 handpumps but they're not always on. bomb shelter is decent, but only 5 taps, everything else is bottles. play a lot of punk music, which I like, others might not.

you're coming down 43? Take the mequon exit, go 10 minutes west and give me a call and we'll have a few.

edit: i lied, sugar maple has 60

I SOOOOO want to go to Sugar Maple. The guys just don't want to drive- they drink, you know. :D They want to go downtown on Friday afternoon, and stay there all weekend, just like we do every single time we go there except for a run to Sprecher or Discount Liquor. :(

Marquette alum here too (Chem PhD). You guys should check out that awesome Law building they just put up there.

the difference between Ale house -> Miller Park and Sugar Maple -> Miller park is negligable.

cab woudln't be more than $10 from ale house to sugar. just sayin'!

i don't have any other ideas for you. if it were Friday i'd say stop by johnson controls and i'd show you around.

Marquette alum here too (Chem PhD). You guys should check out that awesome Law building they just put up there.

Hahaha- Bob just rolled his eyes when you mentioned that. We've already had more than 30 tours of MU, including the little chapel where Steve prayed once freshman year when he was lonely. Please don't tell me that is yet ANOTHER building we may have missed?!?!?! Oh, no. We have walked every inch of MU more than 10 times.

Once minor interesting point is they both (my friend and my husband) lived in Jeffery Dahmer's building in 1979-80 and stepped over bums sleeping in the doorstoop every morning. That was during our friend's law school days, while Bob worked downtown after grad school. They've been friends since 1969.

Haha ok, Ive only been in three buildings on campus as i was confined to a chemistry lab all day long. The building looks cool, though they finished it up as i left (it ought to , the guy donated like 30+ mil if i recall).

So you have asked for suggestions and seemed to have done everything....go hit up a taco truck on National Ave and 27th St. Have you done that?

Haha ok, Ive only been in three buildings on campus as i was confined to a chemistry lab all day long. The building looks cool, though they finished it up as i left (it ought to , the guy donated like 30+ mil if i recall).

So you have asked for suggestions and seemed to have done everything....go hit up a taco truck on National Ave and 27th St. Have you done that?

No, I haven't!!!! That actually sounds like more my style.

We're going to eat at Bar Louie on Friday, because they have ok food and good beer, and it's across the street from the theatre. The last time I was there, Happy Hour pints of Lakefront IPA were $2. We're staying at a hotel downtown, so we'll be walking around quite a bit as always. We're talking about something different for dinner on Saturday night- we've done all the usual suspects.

I think a daytime trip to Northern Brewer will be a "must do" as well as Discount Liquors on Saturday. I'd like to go to the Brewer's game, but I'm the only one who wants to. We only go to maybe one Brewer's game a year, and I just love baseball.

brewers just lost a close one.

check out County Claire! Irish restaurant near the theatre. beer selection isn't that great, but it's a awesome place to go if you've never been.

honestly, the downtown/water street area has just kinda "blah'd" out. not much going on....maybe i'm just out of the loop.

where in the UP are you, anyway? My mom's from Iron Mountain. family in sagola as well.

brewers just lost a close one.

check out County Claire! Irish restaurant near the theatre. beer selection isn't that great, but it's a awesome place to go if you've never been.

honestly, the downtown/water street area has just kinda "blah'd" out. not much going on....maybe i'm just out of the loop.

where in the UP are you, anyway? My mom's from Iron Mountain. family in sagola as well.

We're actually nearly between Iron Mountain and Sagola! Right on the border of WI.

I just got offered and accepted a job in Milwaukee! I'll be starting on May 9th. I don't mean to hijack your thread Lorena, but I don't want to create another thread about Milwaukee :) .

Those of you who live there, where would you suggest as a good place to live for two young professionals? It will probably have to be someplace central as my job is in Glendale and my fiancée is currently interviewing in Oconomowoc and Waukesha.

Also, what do you guys know about the home brew clubs there? Can anybody give me some contact information for that?

The beer barons of Milwaukee. They have a website. I don't know too much about it. I want to go but I teach a photography class the same night of the month.

I just got offered and accepted a job in Milwaukee! I'll be starting on May 9th. I don't mean to hijack your thread Lorena, but I don't want to create another thread about Milwaukee :) .

Those of you who live there, where would you suggest as a good place to live for two young professionals? It will probably have to be someplace central as my job is in Glendale and my fiancée is currently interviewing in Oconomowoc and Waukesha.

Also, what do you guys know about the home brew clubs there? Can anybody give me some contact information for that?

Ooooh, good for you! I'm excited for you. Are you finished with school by May 9? It'd be nice to have a "going away party" for you at lschiavo's, if you'll be around before then!!!!!!!! (I'll tell him he's having it, ok? :D)

I'll keep my fingers crossed that she gets a job right away, too! She's from Green Bay, or am I remembering incorrectly?

Beer Barons are having a German beer competition during German Fest (last week of July, I believe), as even I heard about it from Ed and the TCF guys in Iron Mountain, so you should be able to find them online. They are very active!

If I were you I would definitely stop in at Sugar Maple. The place is great and has a great selection. Just down the road (walking distance, if its nice out) is another bar owned by the same people called The Palm Tavern and a little further is Romans. All of them have great selections.

Right around the theater is Old German Beer Hall too. Its normally packed on the weekends though but its a fun atmosphere.

Also, here is the Beer Barons website http://beerbarons.org/

Ooooh, good for you! I'm excited for you. Are you finished with school by May 9? It'd be nice to have a "going away party" for you at lschiavo's, if you'll be around before then!!!!!!!! (I'll tell him he's having it, ok? :D)

I'll keep my fingers crossed that she gets a job right away, too! She's from Green Bay, or am I remembering incorrectly?

Beer Barons are having a German beer competition during German Fest (last week of July, I believe), as even I heard about it from Ed and the TCF guys in Iron Mountain, so you should be able to find them online. They are very active!

Thank you!!! My graduation at school is a week from Saturday, but I'm going straight to Milwaukee. I need to find a place to live and all that jazz. My fiancée goes to school in Green Bay so you are remembering that right. She has an interview next week that she is really excited about, so hopefully that goes well.

mind if i ask what company?

oconomowoc is a pretty good drive from glendale. i'd imagine close to an hour non-traffic, probably 1.5 at least during rush hour, especially since 94 is all jazzed-up right now. someplace central would be brookfield, nice area, but pretty pricey.

in northern milwaukee there's the trubs, but we're not very formal. Beer Barons are the main MKE brew club.

Thank you!!! My graduation at school is a week from Saturday, but I'm going straight to Milwaukee. I need to find a place to live and all that jazz. My fiancée goes to school in Green Bay so you are remembering that right. She has an interview next week that she is really excited about, so hopefully that goes well.

My brother-in-law has a condo for sale in Pewaukee. It's rented right now, but I'm not sure the guy is staying for another year. If Pewaukee is an option (close to Waukesha, but NOT Oconomowoc), maybe it'd be a decent rental for you. If the guy doesn't stay for another year, I'll try to remember to ask about it. (I drink, you know! :drunk:)

There are some good guys from HBT in MKE area. They don't post much any more here on the forum, but we're still friends. I'm sure they would enjoy having you come to one of their brewdays. One of the guys owns a cookie factory, so they've brewed in there a couple of times. I haven't "seen" him on HBT for a long time, but I still talk to a few of those guys. Once you get settled, give me a call or a PM or something and I'll send you the contact information.

Remember that you're welcome here whenever you get up this way! :mug:

actually Pewaukee is close to Ocono....well much closer than glendale anyway. pewaukee/waukesha are very close, but its pretty far from glendale. not out of bounds, but you'd be looking at a solid hour in the morning with traffic.

I would say Wauwatosa or Eastern Waukesha is a good medium between Ocon and Glendale.

Yooper,
Have fun this weekend. If today's weather holds it should as least be nice for you!

Edit: never mind the weather. I just looked at the forecast. Have a good time anyway...

Yooper,
Have fun this weekend. If today's weather holds it should as least be nice for you!

Edit: never mind the weather. I just looked at the forecast. Have a good time anyway...

Thanks! The weather will suck, but it's probably 15 degrees warmer there than here!

Steve called last night- he's very excited to tour the new Law building at Marquette! :D

The guys will do that, while I head off to Northern Brewer and Discount Liquor on Saturday. I have my shopping list made out, and am looking forward to the new NB store since I haven't been there.

Back