Where would you put this brewmometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I do mostly 6 gallon batches, rendering my brewmometer useless. Sliding it down will only catch the very top of the mash, and will be almost touching the ball valve. I thought on the other side up close to the site guage, I could put it at the 3 gallon mark where it would be almost center of the mash. Is this a dumb idea? I kinda hate to have something on my pot that doesn't work.

Has anyone else moved theirs, if so pics please.:mug:

DSCN3190.jpg

:off:

This is sad, but sometimes I check your threads just to see your avatar.

Man, gotta get the wifey a dirndl!!

I'd say move it down but then you'll have this unattractive hole in your shiny Blichmann. Do you have another thermometer you use while you mash? PID controlled or the like? If so I'd just leave it.

I'd say move it down but then you'll have this unattractive hole in your shiny Blichmann. Do you have another thermometer you use while you mash? PID controlled or the like? If so I'd just leave it.

If you look to the left of my hand I bought the hole plug. I do have another means of measuring temps, but the more the merrier.

Then I'd say put it right in the middle of whatever your standard mash is.

That's what i'm trying to do, but that requires it to be moved to the side. I'm trying to decide if it's going to look like crap or not. Sliding it down won't really accomplish anything.

Bottom line, i'm scared.:eek:

Only YOU can decide if it looks like crap to YOU. Personally I think a plug on that shiny kettle would look like crap. ;)

I have a 15 Gal, BoilerMaker. Move to BIAB so you have all of your water and grain at the same time. That puts it in a good spot for the Mash (not quite middle, but close). Still doesn't work for the boil or cooling, but I'm fine with using my other thermometer for that, without changing my Pot around. Though if I had it to do over again, I would have had it done custom in a different spot.

I can live with it as it is now, until I get my 2nd pot and go to 10 Gal batches.

We'll I put on my big boy pants and lowered it. 1" 7/8" from center to center, could have went 2". That puts the probe just below the 5 gallon mark, since my strike water is a minimum of 5 gallons that should give a good reading at the upper end of the mash. I have a thermowell towards the bottom. Absolutely no interference with the ball valve.

Take a lesson Blichmann, you're pot's are poorly thought out.

DSCN3194.jpg

DSCN3196.jpg

A man with an affinity for stainless. Maybe a nice brass plug would give it that "lived in" feel? :D

Not really, notice the brass qd's. ;)

_

What size Boilermaker do you have?

I do 10 gallon batches and 7 gallons nicely covers the Brewmometer in my 15 gallon Boilermaker. Blichmann recommends a 10g kettle for 5 gallon batches. The thermo stem would be covered by 4 gallons of water in the 10g kettle, so I don't see an issue...provided you were using their recommended size kettle for your batch size. Since you're doing 6g batches, you would either cut it close on a 10g kettle or do as Blichmann recommends and use a hole plug for other batch sizes, etc. I'm not an over-the-top Blichmann fan, but I don't see how you justify that their pots are poorly thought out when they post all the details on their website.

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/boilermaker/boilermaker.html

I'm definitely not on a soap box or anything like that and appreciate quite a bit of your posts. :mug:

This pisses me off too. Multiple times I've thought about just selling my 15 gallon and buying a 10 gallon. I know if I did that I'd be pissed when that once a year time came around for me to make a 10 gallon batch.

I do 10 gallon batches and 7 gallons nicely covers the Brewmometer in my 15 gallon Boilermaker. Blichmann recommends a 10g kettle for 5 gallon batches. The thermo stem would be covered by 4 gallons of water in the 10g kettle, so I don't see an issue...provided you were using their recommended size kettle for your batch size. Since you're doing 6g batches, you would either cut it close on a 10g kettle or do as Blichmann recommends and use a hole plug for other batch sizes, etc. I'm not an over-the-top Blichmann fan, but I don't see how you justify that their pots are poorly thought out when they post all the details on their website.

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/boilermaker/boilermaker.html

I'm definitely not on a soap box or anything like that and appreciate quite a bit of your posts. :mug:

Yeah, they weasel it around, saying that you're using the wrong volume for that pot, etc. Why not just make it work for smaller or larger batches? What's the problem with that?? If such a simple mod fixes the problem, why should he have to have a plug in his nice equipment, instead of them putting it in a more convenient place the first time?

Is there some reason the thermometer should be as high up in the water as possible? No? Then they should cop to the design flaw.

/rant

I do 10 gallon batches and 7 gallons nicely covers the Brewmometer in my 15 gallon Boilermaker. Blichmann recommends a 10g kettle for 5 gallon batches.

15 gallon. Imo, they shouldn't even sell a 10 gallon setup. Lower the freaking thermometers and work on quality control. I bet 80-90% of all brewers will do one or two double batches in their life time. The smallest brewpot should accommodate that.

What they really need to offer is a flexible long shaft thermo so you can adjust the depth of the probe. If that doesn't exist, Blichmann should get on it.

Back