Stuck sparge - what will my beer results be like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam01

Reaction score
Well I got my first stuck sparge. I guess the false bottom bucket collapsed to the bottom of the mash tun. I used the auto siphon (yea!!!) to drain the grain and
continue (taking 1 hr longer.)

I got the mash temp setup, but obviously the sparge took too long and the water
cooled off (didn't get much higher than mash temp (158)

In the end, I got an original gravity of 1.050 vs 1.056 expected.

What I am wondering is what the hops will be like. I'm brewing Orfy's Hobgoblin2.
It has Styrian and Fuggles as first wort hops. What is the 105min sparge going to
do to those bittering hops ?

Thanks.

My (uneducated) guess is that you'll be fine. You have a quite a bit of latiitude with the sparge temp since your only rinsing the grain, not mashing it. I'm not familiar with Orfy's recipe, but my understanding is hops are affected by the boiling of your wort, not by the sparging. Then again, I haven't done my 1st AG yet so maybe I'm full of ****e.

I think you may be reffering to the gravity of the wort affecting hops utilization? If so I would not worried about it, there is no conclusive evidence either way to the gravity-utilization issue

The beer did turn out very good. I'll compare in a week or so with the new version
(bottle from tap vs. new tapped one.)

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back