Cheap copper tubing from local plumbing store!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesanch

Reaction score
I've been wanting to build an IC for a few weeks now based off of this design, but I've been hesitant due to price of the copper. I know many of you use http://coppertubingsales.com/ but the $20 shipping just blows it for me. I've checked HD and Lowes and their prices are a little expensive. Anyway, I called up Naughton's, which happens to have be directly across the street from HD, for a copper tubing quote. 1/2" x 50' refrigeration tubing cost $45.95 + 8.1% sales tax! Much cheaper than coppertubingsales.com. Plus I got some great help from the staff there. Over all a great experience.

I guess the moral of the story is, if you're looking for copper tubing on the cheap, take a trip to your local plumbing store.

Good find.

I picked some up cheap from a plumber that was getting out of the business/retiring. Lots of elbows, fittings, and lengths of 1/2" and 3/8" along with some 3/8" tubing. Enough rigid stuff to do the plumbing on a single pump brutus. :)

If you were living out east then shipping is closer to $12.

Never hurts to check all possibilities when buying, especially with tubing as prices are always fluctuating.

Nice to hear, I got 4 metres of copper tubing from local metal store for 6 dollars.

I was suprized by how easy it was to bend.

+1. I built my IC a few months ago, and I called all the plumbing supply stores in town. They were all cheaper than any hardware store I called. I ended up getting 50' of 3/8" tubing for about $30.

When I went in to buy it, the guy actually asked me if I was using it to build a still. He was pretty impressed, though, when I told him what it was actually for.

I needed a 10' section of tubing to add as a prechiller to my IC. I called a plumbing company I deal with through work and they just gave it to me. Hopefully it will now take less than 30 minutes and a bathtub of water down the drain...

I just called a couple of plumbing supply places, pricing copper tubing on 1/2" and 3/8".

Make sure to say that you are looking for the outside diameter size, as there is a price difference!

Here is an example:

O.D. I.D.

1/2" x 60' $55 $107

Yah that does make it tough ... considering entire used chest freezers sell for that much on craigslist ... sometimes, and only sometimes, can you find a good volume scrap dealer who will let you rummage through their scrap, and sometimes you can find coils of tubing in that scrap, and pay only slightly above scrap price for it ...

Back