End of growing season

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I live on the Eastern Shore of MD and right now the average highs have been mid 70's to low 80's with mid 50's to mid 60's at night. At what point/temperature will hops stop growing?

They will continue to grow until either their roots get too crowded, or the first frost hits.

My growing season is pretty much over. Last year, we had a long enough summer (into october it seemed) so that I could harvest twice.

The hops will die-back when they are ready. Mine stopped growing about a month ago, except for the cones. Most of them are withering as I type.

Once the bines are dead, cut them off at the ground and either compost or trash them.

Another thing you could do now is bury part of the bines about 2-3" down, without cutting them. They will form rhizomes in the Spring.

The hops will die-back when they are ready. Mine stopped growing about a month ago, except for the cones. Most of them are withering as I type.

Once the bines are dead, cut them off at the ground and either compost or trash them.

Another thing you could do now is bury part of the bines about 2-3" down, without cutting them. They will form rhizomes in the Spring.

Is there any reason why one chouldn't root prune in fall prior to preparing the beds for winter?

I usually layer some compost over the beds after the bines have died back. This year, I'd like to root prune and aerate the soil (cultivate) around the crown before I layer the compost.

Is there any reason why I should wait till spring for this?

I have read just about everything I can find and it seems that most do this in spring only because they harvest the rhisome for sale.

Appreciate the feedback everyone. We still have a few weeks of 80's I would imagine. After this freakin coastal storm gets out of here. So hopefully between that and the fish emulsion I put on yesterday I will get one more harvest.

yes,you can do it in the fall. I always break out the tiller and run through the garden in fall, Till it up,put compost and straw on it,then till it in. then in the spring I do it all one more time.

I have an end of the growing season question (not to hijack): I just had access to someones hops; they let me pick about 18 oz (wet). So I assume when its all dried I will have like 5 oz or so. This lady jus ripped a bunch of the bines off her fence and handed them to me. Can I bury these bines right now in the fall and have a chance that they will sprout in the spring? Or would this be a waste of my time because they would just rot out? I sure hate to waste an opportunity these hops, although unidentified, they smell tasty!

I have an end of the growing season question (not to hijack): I just had access to someones hops; they let me pick about 18 oz (wet). So I assume when its all dried I will have like 5 oz or so. This lady jus ripped a bunch of the bines off her fence and handed them to me. Can I bury these bines right now in the fall and have a chance that they will sprout in the spring? Or would this be a waste of my time because they would just rot out? I sure hate to waste an opportunity these hops, although unidentified, they smell tasty!

I have in the past made the mistake of putting green bines, cut down for harvest, in the compost heap. Only to find that they rooted themselves through the remaining fall, winter, and spring. So, they "can" do it but there is no guarantee that they "will". IIRC, the realistic ratio is 50% of "cuttings" taken will likely root.

However, if she's friendly, you'd do better to help her root prune next spring. Or, if she's trying to erradicate the hop vines, help her remove the crown.

yes,you can do it in the fall. I always break out the tiller and run through the garden in fall, Till it up,put compost and straw on it,then till it in. then in the spring I do it all one more time.

Interesting. Do you cut the roots back first or, just let the tiller do that work for you?

I have in the past made the mistake of putting green bines, cut down for harvest, in the compost heap. Only to find that they rooted themselves through the remaining fall, winter, and spring. So, they "can" do it but there is no guarantee that they "will". IIRC, the realistic ratio is 50% of "cuttings" taken will likely root.

However, if she's friendly, you'd do better to help her root prune next spring. Or, if she's trying to erradicate the hop vines, help her remove the crown.

Well I guess thats worth the effort then...50% chance. I mean I have like 50 feet of bine. Maybe I can cut it into smaller pieces and plant them various locations...

She was not trying to get rid of the plant, she was just buzzed. What she uses them for is a barrier between her house and the golf course. Also, she cuts a bunch of whole vines and sends them to her friends and South Dakota (I **** you not, this what she said) and her friend uses them to make christmas wreaths with. Which I may try some year; its actaully a decent idea...

Well I guess thats worth the effort then...50% chance. I mean I have like 50 feet of bine. Maybe I can cut it into smaller pieces and plant them various locations...

She was not trying to get rid of the plant, she was just buzzed. What she uses them for is a barrier between her house and the golf course. Also, she cuts a bunch of whole vines and sends them to her friends and South Dakota (I **** you not, this what she said) and her friend uses them to make christmas wreaths with. Which I may try some year; its actaully a decent idea...

I have been playing with propogating some vines (non hop) using terminal ends with leaf nodes and rooting hormone. So far, my success rate has been 75% using a bag type greenhouse and occasional applications of fungicide.

As vigorous as hops are, I see no reason why they wouldn't take with similar success.

Back