Any gripes with fan based stir plates?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a fascinating idea, turning the stir bar into the rotor! Polyphase motors with multiple poles in a size that would fit into a small box may be hard to find, though. Aren't most polyphase motors made for big pieces of rotating machinery to keep the torque constant? But it's an idea that would be cool to work with, if you have one less moving part that's an advantage.

Yeah, they usually are and they are what I am most familiar with. Probably why I used the term. Three phase is more efficient for several reasons, one is there is less slip between changes of phase. plus 480V service is going to be hard to get for residential, not to mention extremely, stupefyingly, out of your gaht damned mind expensive.

Now that I think about it, a bipolar stepper motor better describes it. A la the H bridge used for controls mentioned earlier.

I did manage to make an electromagnet today that was relatively small, strong and, used a modest amount of current. There may be hope.

I may make another later today, got some kind of flu crud so my motivation is some what lacking..

Like I said earlier, I don't expect this to be a better stir plate, or practical for that matter. Just something different and a little interesting.

Well, I guess there is going to be a build thread...
[youtube]5-mCHPUu9ms[/youtube]

This is only using 2 of 4 magnets. Didn't have enough 26 gauge wire to do more. than 2.
I was manually flip flopping the poles. First with 6V and then with 12V pulling 2 and 4 amps respectively. The nice thing is the coils didn't get that hot at all.

Latest posts

Back