Benefits of a group hop buy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
We just completed a VERY successful group hop buy for Indianapolis and Louisville brewers. I created a spreadsheet to track all of the stats of the buy, they are listed below.

Total POUNDS purchased: 50
Avg. cost per POUND w/shipping: $19.60
Avg. cost per OUNCE w/shipping: $1.23
Avg. cost to ship per POUND: $.96

Number of buyers: 9
Number if varieties: 15

Buyers pruchased anywhere from 2oz. to 10 POUNDS of individual varieties. The ability to get BULK hop pricing and BULK hop shipping while only recieving 2oz. is only possible in a buy like this.

I had to create a spreadsheet to accurately track orders, charges and fees (shipping and vaccuum sealing materials) for all buyers.

If anyone is interested in organizing a group buy like this in thier area, and you want tips and a fully functional spreadhseet to organize the complexities of the buy, let me know.

congrats. i get excited enough when i ordered by lbs to get ~ $1.75-2/oz shipped, especially when LHBS was charging $4.25/oz last time I bought some there. and by last time, i mean that will be the last time i pay that much for hops. :mug:

went to my LHBS today.. charging 3.50 for cascade. And that's cheap as hell for them. But now i'll have lots of it for about 1.15, saved OVER 50%, can't beat that

thanks for getting that going pol

went to my LHBS today.. charging 3.50 for cascade. And that's cheap as hell for them. But now i'll have lots of it for about 1.15, saved OVER 50%, can't beat that

thanks for getting that going pol

Yeah, your average was $1.17 per ounce SHIPPED across the varieties that you ordered! AMAZING, people are getting ripped!

Back