temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisbliss

Reaction score
I have a question about temperature control I will be using a 5 gallon bucket submerging that in water with a t shirt and fan to try to bring the temperature down. My question is will it be okay for the liquid crystal thermometer on the side of the bucket to get wet if it happens to hit the water level or get wet from the T-shirt?

Only one way to find out.

Seriously though, I wash my carboys and buckets with lots and lots of water, over and over, and I've never had a thermometer sticker come off.

Even in the end, if it does come off, I'd rather replace a $3 sticker than a 5 gal batch of beer that tastes like hell because it fermented too hot.

Submerging it will likely ruin the sticker. I killed all of mine when I started using swamp coolers. I don't monitor the beer temp when I use a swamp cooler. I monitor the temp of the water that the bucket is sitting in. You can stick a dial thermometer in the water and tape the top to the side of the container, so it doesn't sink in to the water. For most American ales I keep the water at about 60F for the first 5 days, and then I let it ramp up to about 65F for the remainder of primary fermentation. Then I package...

I have a question about temperature control I will be using a 5 gallon bucket submerging that in water with a t shirt and fan to try to bring the temperature down. My question is will it be okay for the liquid crystal thermometer on the side of the bucket to get wet if it happens to hit the water level or get wet from the T-shirt?

Water ruins those stick-on thermometers. I covered mine with a piece of clear packaging tape.

Back