How much Calcium Carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpz28

Reaction score
If I'm using RO water and brewing a dark beer (porter), I'm not sure if I should add only enough calcium carbonate to in the mash to treat the mash (4 gallons) or since calcium carbonate only dissolves in the mash, if I need to add enough to the mash to treat the whole 8 gallon preboil. I fear adding too much to the mash will have negative effects on my mash/ph. Help?

Well I put this in your other double post, but I'll put it here, too.

Just add to the mash to treat the mash. You can just add the remainder to the kettle to treat the rest of the water, or your sparge water.

I fear adding too much to the mash will have negative effects on my mash/ph. Help?

Adding any, in fact, may raise the pH past where you want it. Mash pH seldom comes in too low.

Your base malt in RO will probably land around 5.9. Adding in the dark grains might pull it down to 5.6 or so. CaCl2 and gypsum will likely pull it the rest of the way down into the happy range. Try it.

Back