Looking for a Good Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vindee

Reaction score
I did my first beer yesterday, an all grain Hefeweizen. And now I have realized how beneficial an instant read thermometer would be for checking mash temps and to check the temp in my small reserve (hot liquor) cooler. I plan on adding a sight glass thermometer combo to my kettle, but need a faster more accurate reading for everything else.
What are some good thermometers digital or analog?
Thanks
Steve

thermapen is the top dog around here, pricey though. i use a digital $15 one from taylor, i like it well enough.

I did my first beer yesterday, an all grain Hefeweizen. And now I have realized how beneficial an instant read thermometer would be for checking mash temps and to check the temp in my small reserve (hot liquor) cooler. I plan on adding a sight glass thermometer combo to my kettle, but need a faster more accurate reading for everything else.
What are some good thermometers digital or analog?
Thanks
Steve

Sorry, I know this is kind of :off:, but I was on here the other day and ran across this link http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/02/15/add-thermometer-probe-to-hlt-mlt-cooler/. I thought it was an awesome idea to check mash temps if you use a cooler for an MLT. I think I'll rig this up soon.

Forget the cheap thermometers... if you're asking what is the best it's the Thermoworks Thermapen. About $100 but well worth it; you won't be always questioning whether you're hitting your temps, and won't waste a bunch of cash replacing crappy $20 thermometers and end up buying the Thermapen anyway.

Edit: the speed of the reading with a thermapen is something I really underestimated; it's a really handy feature.

Got my thermometer for about $20 and haven't had any problems with it. It hits temps slower but my burners take awhile to heat up a 6.5 gallon pot. So there isn't much lag from actual water temp to thermometer reading temp. Having burners that cant bring up the temperature that fast isn't a big deal with cheap ones but when your setup can heat water faster then thats where a good thermometer is needed.

I just purchased a thermapen last week. It was on sale for $83 on amazon.com. It is well worth the price. I've done two brews with it already and there is no going back now. If it broke tomorrow I would buy another one.

Forget the cheap thermometers... if you're asking what is the best it's the Thermoworks Thermapen. About $100 but well worth it; you won't be always questioning whether you're hitting your temps, and won't waste a bunch of cash replacing crappy $20 thermometers and end up buying the Thermapen anyway.

Edit: the speed of the reading with a thermapen is something I really underestimated; it's a really handy feature.

I have spent about $70 on other thermometers, I just recently bought the thermapen when thermoworks was running a sale last week! Should have just done it initially!

I too did not want to drop $80 on a thermometer, so I bought this one from Thermoworks. It also has a calibration adjustment (mine was off 0.4F @ 32F). The top face will work for inserting into my cooler/MT which I plan to do shortly. I can wait a few more seconds than the termapen since it will be sitting in my mash. On sale for $19 right now.....not bad.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt301wa.html

Last edited by a moderator:
my CDN just showed up today and its actually more stout then I thought it was going to be. very impressed. my AC blows out of my 03 civic at 38 °F and it calibrated ice water easy enough.

-=jason=-

Back