Hot priming sugar solution, how is that ok for yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
The way/directions I have been brewing my beers includes boiling a cup of water with 3/4 cup of corn sugar for carbonation. This is at the bottling phase. The directions I have read say to boil together for about 10 minutes and then add this hot solution to the bottling bucket before adding the beer.

At this point is it ok to introduce this very hot boiling solution to the beer? I am concerned about the yeast because of the whole initial boil when you have to cool your wort before adding the yeast because hot temperature will kill yeast?

i just pour the priming sugar in hot and syphon my beer on top of it...I use it with a small amount of water and microwave it to boiling for a minute or two until it goes clear and then i let it swirl to mix and i have yet to have a problem...its a very small amount of hot liquid to cold/room temperature beer...your fine although im sure some yeast commited suicide during the process

The second you dump the boiling priming solution into the bucket, it will drop at least 10 - 15 deg. And, by the time you add a gallon of 65 deg wort to the solution, it will be close to 70 - 75 deg. At that point, even if it killed all the yeast up to that point, you would still have 4 gallons (assum 5 gal batch) of wort with live yeast to add.

BTW - I made up the math, but you get the point.

yep, 1 cup of 212F water has a negligible effect on 5 gallons of 68F degree beer.

what if you used more water, say 2-3 cups of water with your priming sugar and poured that in hot, could you kill your batch of beer? - the reason I ask, is lets say your beer is 1/4 gal shy, and you wanted to compensate by just adding more water - I have had this thought a few times.

what if you used more water, say 2-3 cups of water with your priming sugar and poured that in hot, could you kill your batch of beer? - the reason I ask, is lets say your beer is 1/4 gal shy, and you wanted to compensate by just adding more water - I have had this thought a few times.

The more water you add, the more impact the temperature change will have on the beer -- but 2 or 3 cups is still insignificant. As you start upping the volume, you run the risk of changing the character of your beer by diluting it though.

(#cups x 0.0625 gallons x temp + current volume x current temp) / combined volume = new temperature

if the added hot priming solution was still near boiling temperatures, at 1/4 gallon ud potential kill the yeast in the 1st gallon or so mixed in.

After being patient up to this point, I usually just opt to throw the priming solution in the fridge or freezer for a few to play it safe.

Latest posts

Back