Pictures of yeast slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean in a starter?

rsz_yeast_starter_chilled_001.jpg

Shaken up

1524357555_ed4842e379.jpg

I'm confused. Have you ever brewed a batch of beer before? (I ask this in honesty, not with sarcasm....not trying to be mean, I promise!). What's left over in the fermenter after you transfer to keg/bottling-bucket IS the yeast slurry. A yeast slurry "collected from ferment" will look exactly like what's been left over in your fermenter every time you've brewed.

I have a question about the Mr. Malty "Repitching from Slurry" calculator. When the calculator specifies "# ml of yeast needed" does this mean pure yeast or a shaken-up mixture of beer/yeast? For example, like the pictures of the mason jars above, do you decant the beer and pitch X ml of pure yeast, or shake the jar and pitch X ml of the combined beer/yeast? Thanks!

Since this seems to be on topic, I'll repost this here.

2u7uewx.jpg

This is my first attempt at washing yeast. I followed the directions in the OP of the Yeast Washing thread, and this is a jar of WLP500 after a day or so of refrigeration. Does it look like I got too much trub/sick yeast when transferring from the fermenter to the flask then the flask to the jar, or am I being paranoid? Compared to Brew-boy's pictures I'll probably have to rewash after it settles a bit more.

Back