Secondary Fermintation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runyanka

Reaction score
For Christmas I upgraded from the ol' trusty "mr beer" and got a 5 gallon batch "true brew" home brew kit. It came with a primary 6.5 bucket, a 6.5 bottling bucket, but no bucket for the secondary fermintation. I was wondering if it is okay to do secondary in a 6.5 gallon bucket, or does it need to be a 5 gallon bucket. I have been told that air is NOT the beers friend during secondary, therefore if using a 6.5 gallon bucket, I will have 1.5 gallons of unused space, filled with air. Any suggestions? Basically a 6.5 gallon bucket costs 15 bucks with lid and airlock, where as a 5 gallon plastic carboy with airlock costs around 30 dollars.
Thanks guys.

For Christmas I upgraded from the ol' trusty "mr beer" and got a 5 gallon batch "true brew" home brew kit. It came with a primary 6.5 bucket, a 6.5 bottling bucket, but no bucket for the secondary fermintation. I was wondering if it is okay to do secondary in a 6.5 gallon bucket, or does it need to be a 5 gallon bucket. I have been told that air is NOT the beers friend during secondary, therefore if using a 6.5 gallon bucket, I will have 1.5 gallons of unused space, filled with air. Any suggestions? Basically a 6.5 gallon bucket costs 15 bucks with lid and airlock, where as a 5 gallon plastic carboy with airlock costs around 30 dollars.
Thanks guys.

I, along with many people on this board don't secondary. By leaving the beer on the yeast cake, it allows the yeast to more easily clean up after themselves. Your beer will clear up just the same as if you secondaried.

What are you brewing? If you are doing something ultra high gravity, with lots of spices or herbs, or dry-hopping you will want a secondary. And yes, you will want a 5 gallon bucket or carboy.

I suggest a better bottle.

Save your bottling bucket for bottling. You have two options: skip the secondary completely as many of us do or buy another bucket or 5 gallon better bottle to use as secondary. BTW, you can get food grade 5 gallon buckets and lids for next to nothing at hardware stores.

Unless you are planning on keeping your beer in secondary for six to nine months, you don't really have a problem if you use a bucket for secondary.

I am doing a vanilla porter now in the primary, I have been told that doing a secondary will help make the beer more clear and clean. Okay so first thing Monday morning I will head over to homebrew HQ and buy me a 5 gallon secondary bucket, and keep the 6.5g for primary. Not saying that I will do a secondary, just another thing for me to have "just because".

If you leave your brew in the primary, on the yeast cake, it will clear very nicely. I've found that the yeast actually helps make a clear clean tasting beer.

I still secondary sometimes but that is due to the fact that I like to bulk age my beers. Nothing wrong with using a secondary but I don't want you to be under the impression that it is the only way for clear beer.

Back