American IPA My 2-time gold winning American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i love this recipe!

I use crystal 15 and NorthWest Ale 1332 yeast (which I guess makes it Englishey) when I brew this (about twice a month). I gonna try it next time with American Ale II next to compare.

Anyone else experiment with the yeast strains in this great IPA?

I currently have a split batch going with Conan from Giga Yeast and Us-05. Brewed April 19, dry hopping now. I'll report back in a few weeks.

Fired off a batch on Saturday with a slightly modified Hop bill\schedule:

Chinook - 1oz - 30min
Amarillo - 1.5oz - 30min
Wai-iti - 1oz - 15min
Amarillo - 1.5oz - 15min
Wai-iti - 1oz - 5min

This was actually my first brew, ever. My brother helped me out with his BIAB setup. Pitched yeast on Monday night, overnight Tuesday the thing went crazy, had to swap out my blow off bucket.

Can't wait for the results.

Will brew this for the 1st time tomorrow. The brew store was out of Cascade so I substituted Centennial. About $80 for a ten gallon batch but there will be a good amount of left over Hops

I currently have a split batch going with Conan from Giga Yeast and Us-05. Brewed April 19, dry hopping now. I'll report back in a few weeks.

We'll, a neighbor had a party, and we drank both halves of the batch, along with two other kegs of my brew.

Generally, the crowd preferred the Conan over the S-05. The Conan had a citrus taste absent from the US-05 version. I tasted it as lemon. The Conan was more crisp, perhaps a bit more thin, to me. They both finished at 1.010, so it was not a FG difference that accounted for the perceived difference.

I am very pleased with the Conan, it offers a nice change of pace from US-05. I will use it again, but may mash at a degree or two higher to maintain a bit more body.

By the way - I used the Giga Yeast version of Conan.

I brewed this recipe using the following adaptations and it turned out amazing!

We're living at 8000 feet in the Indian Himalayas, so it was good to bring a worthy IPA back home!

I was concerned about a stuck fermentation since the FG was holding at 1.016 for almost a week. Thanks to the advice on HBT, I bottled it and it is truly amazing...

Batch size: 60 Liters (almost 16 gallons)
32 Pale
5 Light Caramel
2 Munich
1 Wheat
Mash: 154 F
30 minutes: 2 Chinook, 4.2 Cascade, .8 Citra
15 minutes: 1. 4 Fuggle, 4.2 Cascade
10 minutes: 2 whirlfloc
5 minutes: 2.8 Fuggle
Dry (Secondary): 5.6 Citra
Safela S-04
Primary: 13 days
Secondary: 13 days
OG 1.078
FG 1.106

hb.jpg

Just put this into the second fermentation and dry hopping it with my homegrown hops (Cascade). So far the taste is amazing without the "hoppiness" yet. Looking forward to the next stage. In 14 days I'll get to try it again as this recipe had a TON of sediment. It will require a third fermentation stage just to clear it out. :rockin:

Going to pick up the ingredients Friday and give this one a whirl. Can't wait to get it started! Haven't fired up the brew kettle in almost a year so from everything I've read this recipe definitely seems worthy!

I made my 1st batch of this 10 gallon pitched on 5/23/15 and kegged on 6/13/15. OG came in high at 1.070 and so did FG at about 1.018. I am no beer judge but after a week in the keg it seemed a little sweet and hoppy at the same time. I was a little disapointed but in the last week after 5 weeks in the keg it is really tasting great with the hops comming thru like some of the better commercial IPAs I have tried. My best comparrison would be Racer 5. I will brew this again with the grains cut back a bit.

Love this beer!

Brewed with both California ALe yeast and San Diego Super yeast and i prefer the later. Always a hit with my friends, actually brewing 10 gallons of this for my buddies wedding.

Hi Guys

Was keen to give this a go, has anyone put it up on beersmithrecipes.com? I might have to work out how to manually create a recipe in beersmith finally :)

Hi Guys

Was keen to give this a go, has anyone put it up on beersmithrecipes.com? I might have to work out how to manually create a recipe in beersmith finally :)

Super easy. Load your equipment profile, add ingredients and set sparge method. Of course you can tweak from there...

1st what a great beer this has turned out to be, thanks Enochs. I will be making my 2nd batch of this next week as it is about gone. I have noticed as it has aged that the hops are really coming thru. I may reduce the early hops to reduce the bitternes or maybe raise the ABV by adding Corn Sugar (dextrose) to offset the bitterness. The other choice would be to drink it faster. Any advise on which way to go and how much?

Thanks Dan

Hi All,

Thinking of brewing this on the weekend.
I have everything except for the Cascade.

What would be a good sub from what i have:

Summit
Columbus
Mosaic
El dorado
Falconer's flight
Galaxy

Preferably I would like to use Summit as i have a lot of this and I have non-onion batch as I have made some nice beers with it already.

However if you think it would work out better with one of the other 5 then I'd be open to that.

I'm also flexible with the dry hopping but would want to leave Willamette in there as i also have a lot of that that i want to use up.

Thanks! :tank:

Hi All,

Thinking of brewing this on the weekend.
I have everything except for the Cascade.

What would be a good sub from what i have:

Summit
Columbus
Mosaic
El dorado
Falconer's flight
Galaxy

Preferably I would like to use Summit as i have a lot of this and I have non-onion batch as I have made some nice beers with it already.

However if you think it would work out better with one of the other 5 then I'd be open to that.

I'm also flexible with the dry hopping but would want to leave Willamette in there as i also have a lot of that that i want to use up.

Thanks! :tank:

Im am partial to Galaxy. I think it would be a good replacement for cascade in this recipe. Both nice a fruity, awesome whirlpool/dry hop. I used this malt bill with citra/galaxy hops and it came out amazing.

Im am partial to Galaxy. I think it would be a good replacement for cascade in this recipe. Both nice a fruity, awesome whirlpool/dry hop. I used this malt bill with citra/galaxy hops and it came out amazing.

OK, I think I might go with the Galaxy then.
Hopefully it goes well with the Willamette or would Columbus or Summit be better?

galaxy columbus and summit all have a decent amount of resinous quality to me. Willamette isnt really suited for IPAs. youd need a buttload of it to get an assertive hop character. It would be overshadowed by the other hops even if you used it 2:1

Hi all, thanks for sharing this recipe.

I am in the process of buying the ingredient and my supplier (hop dawgs) doesn't have the :
- American Briess Torrified Wheat 0.25lbs
Is there a good substitute for that? Will the taste change a lot of I skip this grain?

Also I think there is a type in the hop name if it's "Willamette" without the i
Thanks!

That amount of wheat is only to help head retention. No huge flavor contribution. I couldn't get it either but used 1lb red wheat in a 11g batch. Gave it a nice red hue for autumn.

That amount of wheat is only to help head retention. No huge flavor contribution. I couldn't get it either but used 1lb red wheat in a 11g batch. Gave it a nice red hue for autumn.

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunatly I can't do 10g batch yet since I need to use my hands to get out the BIAB bag and 5g is already heavy enough

Will check for another "head retention" grain to replace it!

prety new to this guys and i don't have program to calculate.

what's the water quantity for mash & what is the water qty for sparging?

I'll brew this beauty today.

Max

I made a HG version of this (1.086) with all chinook except warrior bittering and conan. It was terrific. I also freeze condensed 3 gallons into 2 gallons and bottles it. Wow!
Aroma wasn't great but the taste is amazing. I estimate those to be around 12% but it has no burn at all and is crystal clear even after only being chilled for a day.

so, it wasnt meant to be a HG version, i just ended with 8g in the fermenter, instead of 11. First time doing a 10g AG batch, and over sparged, so I did almost a hr boil to get my volume down to add the sparge where I wasnt nervous about the level in the 15g kettle. I didn't want to top up and had no spring water on hand anyway, so I went with it.
Also, no 60min addition. Got my recipes mixed up.
Here's the beersmith conversion for a 11g batch

the 5oz dryhop was in the keg.
Also, I dont know why it converted 1lb of c20/60 down to an oz, except maybe because of residual sweetness from the extract

1.0 pkg Vermont IPA Conan (Gigayeast #) Yeast 12 -
1.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 0.3 %
6 lbs 14.9 oz Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 5 27.7 %
1.3 oz Caramel Wheat Malt (46.0 SRM) Grain 1 0.3 %
3.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 38.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 12.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 3.4 IBUs
3.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 25.1 IBUs
13.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [Boil for1 min](0. Sugar 10 3.2 %
4.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 0.3 %
5.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
17 lbs 0.7 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 4 68.1 %

View attachment 2tAPA.bsmx

Can you convert this to an extract recipe for us? Thanks:drunk:
What was the ABV?

If it helps, this is the PM version I brewed last year. It turned out awesome!

I'm brewing a version of this tomorrow. It's my third time brewing, and the first time that I'll be trying a Partial Mash. When I plugged in the AG recipe to BS2, then converted to PM, both the Munich and the Crystal were completely dropped out! So I sat down with a more experienced brewer I know and we came up with the following. Also, I've been itching to try Citra, so I subbed it for the Chinook, and also added it to the dry hop. Both the dry hop additions are whole leaf. Rest are pellets.

Brew Type: Partial Mash - BIAB
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Volume: 6.38 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 %

5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM)
4 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Cascade [6.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [6.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.50 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml]
1.00 oz Cascade [7.70 %] - (leaf) Dry Hop 14.0 Days
1.00 oz Citra [13.80 %] - (leaf) Dry Hop 14.0 Days

I'm not doing starters yet, so going with US-05. I'm more comfortable with dry yeast. How long do you guys dry hop, and should I do both together, or in two separate stretches?

I intentionally pulled back on the OG just a bit to get the ABV down around 6%. BS2 says OG is 1.058 and FG will be 1.014. Does that sound right? If I'm starting with an OG below Enohcs recipe, why am I finishing with an FG above his?

I've studied Deathbrewers BIAB thread, but I need to adjust for different equipment. I only have one kettle, but it's a good size (9 gal) and I boil outside on a propane burner, so I can do a full boil. The only other pots I have available are 2 gal and 1.5 gallon.

Beersmith says to mash with 9.4 qts at 162, then sparge with 4.9 gallons at 168. I'm not sure what's the best way to do this with my equipment. What if I were to heat up 6 gallons close to boiling, then drain off five gallons into an igloo cooler I have. Then add another gallon or so to the brew pot to get up to the 9.4 qts and heat it to 162 for the mash? Any chance the water in the cooler (rectangular type, no drain) would hold enough temp for an hour while I mash? If it's too hot, I could add a little cool water to bring it down to 168, and if it's too cool, I could have some boiling water in the two gallon pot waiting to warm it back up. Would this work???

Any suggestions regarding these procedures, or problems with the recipe will be appreciated.

Wow, that's still a lot of grains and malt even for a PM. I sparge with about 150-155 degree water and half the amount of water I start my mash with. I have a tank less water heater so I can heat the water to the temp I want then I don't have to put water on the fire. For dry hopping I grow my own hops (cascade) and double dry hop in three fermentation stages. This way I get the bitterness I need and the hoppiness I'm searching for in the flavor. I also use a little darker (just 4 ounces)caramel roasted grains to add a little deeper color. IPA's I feel are just a little too light in color and flavor.

What is your ABV? Mine is around 6.8 to 7.5. I rarely get the same reading.:off:

Back