Harvesting/Washing Yeast from Rauchbier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing my first Rauchbier soon with White Labs' Southern German Lager strain. I've never done a true Rauch before, so I'm wondering if it's okay to harvest/wash and reuse the yeast from a smoked beer. Normally with an ale yeast I wouldn't be so concerned because ale's are a little more forgiving---but I'm a little concerned that if I were to brew a light German lager with the harvested culture, it might be so delicate and clean that some of the smoke might telegraph to that batch.

Thoughts?

I know at O'Fallon Brewery, the two beers that they will not cross over when it comes to the yeast slurries is their Dry Hopped IPA and their Smoke Porter.

I know at O'Fallon Brewery, the two beers that they will not cross over when it comes to the yeast slurries is their Dry Hopped IPA and their Smoke Porter.

I suppose it's better safe than sorry. I have plenty of harvested WLP838 in different bottles, so I could just use some of it and discard that, and still have some on hand from the first washing.

Back