Ingredients question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birome Brewer

Reaction score
How do most on here go about acquiring ingredients. I live in Central Texas with the nearest big (well bigger) city being Waco. There is only one store in Waco that sells any homebrew supplies, and their selection is absolutely horrific. So, the best option I have found is to order ingredients online from Austin Homebrew. The shipping is fairly inexpensive and I usually receive the goods in about three business days after ordering. However, I'm pretty much at the mercy of ordering their recipe kits because everytime I find a recipe I like, I can't get it from Austin because they do not have the right hops--not even the right substitutes that I know of. I am still pretty new to this, so I'm not sure if there are other substitutes that will work. I'm pretty sure the hops issue I am facing is probably pretty widespread due to the worldwide shortage. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or knows of other suppliers that I could look at as an alternative. I hope to get a little more creative in the future with my recipes.

Thanks.

How do most on here go about acquiring ingredients. I live in Central Texas with the nearest big (well bigger) city being Waco. There is only one store in Waco that sells any homebrew supplies, and their selection is absolutely horrific. So, the best option I have found is to order ingredients online from Austin Homebrew. The shipping is fairly inexpensive and I usually receive the goods in about three business days after ordering. However, I'm pretty much at the mercy of ordering their recipe kits because everytime I find a recipe I like, I can't get it from Austin because they do not have the right hops--not even the right substitutes that I know of. I am still pretty new to this, so I'm not sure if there are other substitutes that will work. I'm pretty sure the hops issue I am facing is probably pretty widespread due to the worldwide shortage. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or knows of other suppliers that I could look at as an alternative. I hope to get a little more creative in the future with my recipes.

Thanks.

Hops shortage is a way of life right now. Get yourself educated on suitable substitutions and that will help you formulate your own favorite recipes with what is available.

You can't go wrong with Austin.

Depending on what style of beer you like best, specific hop varieties might not be that big a deal. As long as you can stay roughly in the same geographic region (English hops for English beers, German for German, etc) you're okay. The only time I'd lose sleep over what specific kind of hop I was going to use would be in something like an IPA where I'm actually looking for a significant contribution of hop flavor. Most beers, hop flavor is either nonexistent or purely complementary to other flavors.

Alpha acids are more important to me than variety, most of the time.

Back