fly or batch sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a fly guy because I built my system around fly sparging. I tried the batch route but my efficiency suffered. Now I get 85% when I fly plus I like to tinker and it keeps me busy.

Big debate here, no right or wrong, just how you want to do it. Batch sparging is easier with more systems, fly sparging has more variables. Done right each method will give you good results. Personally, I fly sparge...like brew-boy I like playing with little things here and there and fly sparging lets you do that with manifolds, false bottoms, sprinkler systems, HLT possibilities, etc. In the end, I think batch sparging is easier to do with fewer variables to worry about.

I fly sparge 90% of the time, and batch sparge the other 10%.
(I have a 5g MLT which makes batch sparging of bigger beers rather difficult.)
I get about 5% more efficiency when fly sparging, but it took a long time to get my efficiency where it is now.
I also think my beers come out a bit better with a fly sparge, but that's probably because I prefer beers with an OG that is too high for a batch sparge with my equipment, and also because I've had a lot more practice.
If you are starting out, I would definitely go with batch unless there's some reason why you can't. It's faster, cheaper, easier, and unless you have a system and process that is tuned for fly sparging, more efficient.

-a.

i've done both. i like the quickness of the batch, but if i'm in no hurry, or working on a really big beer, i'll fly.

been making mostly session beers this year, so i'm just doing a simple batch sparge, at about 80 percent eff.

Fly because the first book I bought on homebrewing said that's how to do it.....I'm hard-headed and have been doing it ever since.

I fly sparge, I've never done a batch sparge. I like the idea of doing a single vorlauf. It just makes more sense to me and I don't see any reason to switch now.

I've done both. I prefer to batch because of its simplicity and focus my energy on other parts of the process. I do brew alot more session beers now so that probably favours batch for me as well as I get 75-80% eff. If I was doing alot of big beers the drop in efficiency would make it worth fly sparging again. Or maybe I'd just parti-gyle and batch sparge anyways!

GT

This horse has been kicked, punched and stabbed to death.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=35725&highlight=batch+sparging
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=45015&highlight=batch+sparge

deadhorsebeat_2.gif

deadhorse.gif

Back