Witbier with wheat malt. Single infusion.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callback79

Reaction score
Hello,

I tried to do something close to a Witbier this week. Everything went very well. But after some readings, I'm not sure if the final product will be close to a Witbier.

I used Weyermann Pilsner (I know, not Belgian), Wheat malt and a little bit of oats flakes (5%).

I think most people use Unmalted wheat and it seems you have to use a step mash for Witbier (due to unmalted wheat ? not sure). I did a single infusion at 151-152F for 60 minutes. I used Wyeast 3944.

Should I expect something far from being a Witbier or can it be pretty close to that style even if I used wheat malt ?

Other question, as I said, there is a little amount of Oats flakes. Are we suposed to use a step mash for flakes and unmalted grains ?

Thanks.

I use wheat malt a lot in wit and it works fine. At least I like it and it does get to tasting like wit. The oats will not hurt it at all.. they will add a little smoothness to the mouth feel which will be good in a wit. Not sure about the yeast you used but Wyeast says it is wit yeast I believe them. A lot of the flavors will come from the yeast.

Relax.. you're gonna have some wit.

I used 3944 in a shock top clone i did for swmbo and it turned out excellent. doesn't really taste like shock top but hoping it will with some age, it was pretty young when i had tried it

No worries at all, as the others said it'll work fine. If you're using a large amount of adjuncts like flaked cereals, it can be good to do a protein rest, but it's pretty unimportant in this case: you're going for cloudy anyway, and any detriment to shelf life is pretty irrelevant for homebrewing. I'm sure it'll be great!

Latest posts

Back