Cleaning Burnt Hot Break Material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YULbrewer

Reaction score
Hey fellow brewers! I have a question for anyone out there who has had this problem before...

I have a propane outdoor burner for brewing. Recently, during the hot break, I had a pretty good boil-over that got hot break material all over my burner. I did a quick cleanup with dish washing soap and water to get the bulk of the protein off the burner, then lit it back up, assuming the heat would burn off whatever material didn't clean off. Big mistake...

Now, there's charred protein/hot break crap all inside the burner assembly that won't go away. So every time I try to brew, the flames are not a clean blue flame anymore (they're a nice yellow flame), and the flame deposits tons of super-fine black powder all over my brew pot, which is a massive task to clean.

Does anyone have a recommended solution and/or technique for cleaning charred protein deposits from a burner?

I've just boiled water in it till it clears up, cleaning it via heat and dilution. but maybe i've never had it as burnt as you have....

try an oxi-clean soak?

I'm not proud but i have done this several times. I have found that oxy-clean soak in hot water for about 45min-1 hour works great. That stuff cleans everything.

Back