Backsweetening links or info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vox

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good stickies or links on backsweetening? I know you can use fermentables and nonfermentables. More interested in specifics methods of using them. Do you just pour it in or do you have to boil the sweeteners, etc.

Easiest way to back sweeten is to keg the cider. Kill all the yeast with Potassium Sorbate, then add apple juice conentrate to taste. If you bottle condition, you can use non-fermentable sugars but I never got quality results from this.

I live in an apt so I haven't bought a kegging system yet. So I'm a bottler.

I'm looking to end up with something like Angry Orchard or Crispin.

Easiest way to back sweeten is to keg the cider. Kill all the yeast with Potassium Sorbate, then add apple juice conentrate to taste. If you bottle condition, you can use non-fermentable sugars but I never got quality results from this.

Does Potassium Sorbate give off any off flavors?

I have brewed beer for a while, but never cider. I just threw some yeast into some apple cider and was wondering how to kill the yeast without much off flavor.

The sorbate will ad a flavor to it, but if you back sweeten with concentrate or even add a little bit of apple flavoring you can mask it and you can no longer taste it.

If you use juice concentrate I have seen about 1 can per gallon works best. I use flavoring and it varies by brand so follow the recommended amount and adjust to taste. Remember you can always add to your. Few but you can't take away so start off with a small amount and simply try it. If you want more flavor or even sweetness add to it until you get what you're looking for.

Back