Now considering all suggestions on how to deal with a thieving, lying roommate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PistolsAtDawn

Reaction score
Roommates are miserable hell spawn sometimes. WTF is wrong with some people!? My girlfriend has now had TWO roommates in a row who help themselves to anything in the house, food in particular.

I know what you're thinking already: she makes poor choices in roommates. You're half right. The first one was an awful, ill-conceived choice. He really was a miserable POS. Never had rent on time, ate anything in the house, never bought any of his own groceries, never helped clean up.... the list goes on.

When he'd moved out, another guy moved in. Now this second guy wasn't a stranger to me. I'd met him several times. We'd gone to dinner, out for drinks. He seemed all right by all accounts. He talked about the things he does as a roommate - all the right stuff said there. He was employed at a good company in good position. He paid rent up front as soon as he'd moved in, and he initially did a lot of yard work (and nobody even asked him to do so since what he did was nice but unnecessary).

I don't know if the guy has emotional problems or not. I think he does. Sadly, I think it's from being in combat (he's a veteran). Something really off with him, which will be covered later in this rant. Initially, he was always hanging around my girlfriend and I. Very buddy, buddy. Everything needed to be a group activity with him, including sharing groceries. That was fine for a while. He seemed nice and he wasn't awful to be around or anything like that, and he bought the shared groceries when it was his turn. I have to say that I would never share groceries with a roommate, but it wasn't my living situation.

After a while, it got to the point where we had to make it obvious that the two of us were going to go do something as a couple without him because otherwise he seemed to assume that he was invited. That should be reasonable. But thus started a change in his personality. He started going out and getting drunk on a regular basis (and yes, driving too), stopped doing anything to help out around the house, stopped buying his own groceries and started eating my girlfriend's food.

She told him that she wasn't interested in sharing food anymore and he needed to buy his own stuff because he was no longer keeping up with buying things when it was his turn. Okay, says he.

Now, my girlfriend has a heart of gold - to a fault, unfortunately. She let this go on for too long before saying anything. Unfortunately, nothing changed. The only positive thing I can say about him living there is that he pays his rent on time and in full. She's asked him to stop using her tools, stop eating her food, help out with keeping the house clean, etc. Nothing changed.

So recently when she confronted him about using her tools yet again after she'd said he needs to ask, he blew up. He said he was >this< close to moving out because he was tired of being accused of things, that I was a ********* (admittedly he might be right, but that's just uncalled for) and he didn't appreciate me "getting in his face" about his habits. I certainly did no such thing. I sat down with him outside while he was smoking a cigarette (NOT stolen from my girlfriend for a change!) and explained to him that I was tired of my girlfriend stressing out about this stuff since her stress becomes my stress, and that makes it my business too. Simple conversation and no drama there.

Well, when she told me the way he'd reacted to her, I stomped outside to where he was working on his car WITH her tools still in his hands and told him that if he had something to say to me, he'd better say it to my face. I called him on his BS when he claimed he wasn't doing anything and I told him that yes, he should move out. And then I went back inside. I was actually fairly proud that I'd kept my head as well as I had. The total exchange lasted less than a minute.

He says he's planning on being out by the 15th of July since that's 30 days since the conversation occurred. By SC state law, he has to have a minimum of that amount of time to move. Fine. Nothing we can do about that, BUT he's STILL eating her food and helping himself to whatever else he wants. AND lying about it when confronted. Milk doesn't open and drink half of itself.

What worries me is that he's not emotionally stable. The GF told me that he actually followed a girl he was seeing after she stopped returning his calls/texts, and he actually walked up to her car and knocked on the window when she was out with another guy. So he told my GF anyway, seemingly clueless that he'd done anything wrong. He also likes to get all handsy with girls he's just met in bars, rubbing their shoulders in a very familiar way. He's a creepy dude sometimes.

Legally, we can't change the locks on him and put his stuff outside. But I want him to know that I won't tolerate him screwing with my girlfriend. He's stealing from her! It may be petty theft, but it's theft all the same. She's killing herself trying to open a catering business right now and this is the last thing she needs to worry about since she can hardly afford to live while she's got no income.

I'm thinking of putting laxatives in some select, but known to us, food items in the house. Talking to him has thus far been useless.

What would you do?

Your girlfriend has male roommates? I think I'd start there. Crazy, drunk emotional unstable man alone with my girlfriend? No way.

Sounds like a tough situation. I'd just tough it out for 15 more days. But keep a close eye and be ready to call police if any funny business happens.

I've had my fair share of awful roommates over the years. it's never fun and never easy. Just this past year i've had three roommates that ultimately led to the same situation, basically coming to a point of telling them they need to get the f**k out.

I'm thinking of putting laxatives in some select, but known to us, food items in the house. Talking to him has thus far been useless.

Is definitely something i wouldn't do. It serves no real purpose and will most certainly cause MORE problems for you.

I say bide your time until he moves out, and just be as non-confrontational and non-*****ebaggy as you can, since you claimed yourself .. you might be a ****** bag.

While you can't change the locks, you can lock up certain items that you really don't want him using, ie tools and other things for the time being.

Your girlfriend has male roommates? I think I'd start there. Crazy, drunk emotional unstable man alone with my girlfriend? No way.

Sounds like a tough situation. I'd just tough it out for 15 more days. But keep a close eye and be ready to call police if any funny business happens.

Yeah, I don't like it either. He didn't start out this way at all. I don't think he's dangerous, just a bit creepy. How those two could be mutually exclusive, I don't know, but try not to screw with my thought process there. I'll sleep better. :p

Mitigating the situation is the fact that she has two very large dogs that would probably eat him if he tried anything.

I say bide your time until he moves out, and just be as non-confrontational and non-*****ebaggy as you can, since you claimed yourself .. you might be a ****** bag.

While you can't change the locks, you can lock up certain items that you really don't want him using, ie tools and other things for the time being.

It's hard to say whether or not I'm a d-bag. The second set of lab results haven't come back yet. The first ones were inconclusive. :D

I wasn't completely serious about the laxatives. But I'm not taking it off of the table either.

If he is a veteran I'd get a bunch of brown bags or bubble wrap and just start popping them at random times when he's not looking. Always a good time if the person has been in a real war zone. Louder the better.

Laxatives are good. Also hide the toilet paper (and shower curtains) when you do it.

Could randomly go through his clothes. Borrow his things and then misplace it somewhere else in the house.

I'd cut him some slack, he's obviously going through a pretty rough time in his life. You try deploying to a place where everyone is trying to kill you for 15 months and see how emotionally stable you keep. Some people can handle stress better than others, and there might even be underlying emotional problems as well but I kinda feel for the guy.

I have nothing to contribute to the current dilemma but, I do have a curiosity as to why someone very familiar with her, or her very familiar with him, hasn't stepped up to the plate to end the bad roomate conundrum?

If he is a veteran I'd get a bunch of brown bags or bubble wrap and just start popping them at random times when he's not looking. Always a good time if the person has been in a real war zone. Louder the better.

Laxatives are good. Also hide the toilet paper (and shower curtains) when you do it.

Could randomly go through his clothes. Borrow his things and then misplace it somewhere else in the house.

I hope these suggestions were in no way serious.

Listen, I can emphasize with you that the situation sucks but you've said your peace and have two weeks left until its over.

As much as I love effing with people I would never torment a veteran with something like popping bags. If he snapped and stabbed you in a neck as a reaction (because maybe he has been through real ****) you'd deserve every bit of it. I just have a little more respect for veterans than to do something like that.

With the dude being creepy there isn't much you can do there other than just don't hang out with him. Have your girl lock her stuff in her room and crash with you for a little if you can. Effin with this dude is only going to make things worse.

My girl just moved in with me and previously she had two ****ty roomies. One was a waste of a person who relied on self entitlement and had an attitude unmatched by another for no reason. The other ( a male friend of hers from college, I had known and it wasn't a weird type of situation at all) moved in, didn't pay rent for 3 months, ate all the food, drank all the beer, and never offered to give money or restock anything. She couldn't take it anymore so she ended up moving out. almost lost her friendship with that guy cause he was so difficult to live with.

It's going to suck for her for two weeks but it'll be over and he'll be gone...just don't buy any food you need for the fridge or stuff you aren't going to eat that night. Don't give him the opportunity to take it from you. And anything else have her just locked in her room where he doesn't have access (a new knob with an actual key is only like $8)

+1

Seems like the tools are a big problem and since there are only a few more weeks until he is moving out then I would put the tools in a place where he can't find them. Either that or lock them up.

What can't you endure for two weeks? He's not been violent, but pushing the issue can very well trigger that behavior.

If it were me, I'd be with her every night. Either at my place or hers, and don't buy any new food. Hide any tools/**** that can't be replaced, and let the food go. Two weeks. After that I'd literally take the legal steps to evict him. He's been given his 30 day notice, and while I'm not an attorney, in my state, that's what it takes...but one other thing, the notice should be/should've been, in writing. If you want this to end sooner then later, you might consult an attorney so that asap you can have the sherrif evict him.

Keep it business. Don't trigger any violent behavior, endure, keep your girl where you can protect her.

DON'T do any of the stupid **** you or another poster here have suggested, you'll only prolong the nightmare.

GL.

If you have a little extra cash, just pay him to leave. Offer him all of June's rent back if he will be out of the house by the end of the week. Be sure to get it in writing that with the cash payment of X he agrees to leave by X and waives all rights to return by surrendering the keys and taking the money. Little money will go along way by getting rid of this turd, less stress on your gal and on you, and not worrying if this dude is going to go Timothy Mcveigh on you.

I wouldnt mess with the dude as he sounds unstable and some vets have serious issues from their time in the service (not knocking vets, just the truth in some cases). Its not worth throwing gas on the fire to get even with the nut job.

When the 30 days are up, what's going to guarantee he leaves? You probably need his notice in writing and you probably should expect to have to visit the local courthouse to evict him.

The other advice here is good. Lock up or move the tools and anything else that can't be replaced. Don't buy a lot of groceries unless you have to. Maybe she can keep groceries at your place and eat meals with you there. Otherwise, keeping the peace about the situation is probably the safest and most reasonable thing to do.

Sounds like the guy has some problems and needs a roommate he can be BFF with that won't leave him on his own. You can't help his problems but I can't help but wonder why, after seeing him be creepy in bars with women, your girlfriend thought it was a good idea to let him move in with her. Just sounds like you're asking for a bad situation to unfold.

Let me emphasize that so far, there has been no physical - or even personal - attacks from my end of things. I may have gotten mad at him after his last outburst, but the worst I've said to him is "Bullshiat". I am smarter than one may think based upon my previous sarcastic statements of laxative use. I have been nothing but business in the past and plan to be going forward. I mostly needed to vent my frustrations over this creepo.

Have I mentioned yet how he neglects his dog all the time? In the months proceeding this, if my girlfriend didn't see to it that he gets fed and let out, he'd likely have died from lack of basic care. This guy wouldn't even let the dog sleep in his room at night and he's never home anymore. Now that he's been told to leave and keep his hands off of her property, he's locking the dog in his room all day and he doesn't want my girlfriend to let him out, even just to do his business outside. That's abuse in my eyes, and I don't see how you can justify that.

I'd cut him some slack, he's obviously going through a pretty rough time in his life. You try deploying to a place where everyone is trying to kill you for 15 months and see how emotionally stable you keep. Some people can handle stress better than others, and there might even be underlying emotional problems as well but I kinda feel for the guy.

I don't want to ever have to deal with that situation, and trust me I do understand I can't and never will understand what it's like. That was the very reason I mentioned it. I do feel for him, BUT I will not tolerate anyone screwing with someone I love, no matter what their reasoning. I have deep respect for anyone who can voluntarily go to war, but I also expect that they do whatever is necessary when they come home to act in a reasonable, respectful manner. He is not doing so and he is going out of his way to be passive aggressive. Aggression against any of my love ones will not be tolerated in any form. If he needs help, the government will pay for it. It's not like he doesn't have the resources to fix this, but he's been told more than once by more than one roommate that his behavior isn't acceptable. He refuses to take responsibility for things he's knowingly doing. On this, I have no sympathy for him.

I have nothing to contribute to the current dilemma but, I do have a curiosity as to why someone very familiar with her, or her very familiar with him, hasn't stepped up to the plate to end the bad roomate conundrum?

I guess I don't know what you mean, as I have stepped in and I am handling it to the best of my ability within the limits of the law. If I had it my way, all of his stuff would be out on the front lawn, the house locks would be changed already, and his dog would have been taken in by the local no-kill shelter so it could get some proper care - including having food and water, attention from a vet, a bath, and flea medications that he refuses to buy.

She's staying in crappy situation as a ploy to get you to pop the question. :p

Then I should marry her out of sheer respect for the quality of this caper in which she is engaged.

What can't you endure for two weeks? He's not been violent, but pushing the issue can very well trigger that behavior.

If it were me, I'd be with her every night. Either at my place or hers, and don't buy any new food. Hide any tools/**** that can't be replaced, and let the food go. Two weeks. After that I'd literally take the legal steps to evict him. He's been given his 30 day notice, and while I'm not an attorney, in my state, that's what it takes...but one other thing, the notice should be/should've been, in writing. If you want this to end sooner then later, you might consult an attorney so that asap you can have the sherrif evict him.

Keep it business. Don't trigger any violent behavior, endure, keep your girl where you can protect her.

DON'T do any of the stupid **** you or another poster here have suggested, you'll only prolong the nightmare.

GL.

I am with her every night and have been almost 7 days a week since before this ass hat moved in. He's being watched, but I'm not trying to instigate anything. HOWEVER, yesterday he sent her an message saying that he wants to put a camera in the kitchen area without telling ME about it so that they can catch me eating all of her food. Yes, quite the imagination he's got. He also says that he thinks I'm trying to drive a wedge between them and harm their "friendship." He's bat-shiat insane.

He doesn't have the guts to confront me man-to-man, so I'm going to let that slide unless he finds his spine and says something to my face. I did tell her to tell him that filming someone in a public area without notice and their consent is illegal and she will have no such thing happening in her house.

I have been reasonable with him thus far, but he's really pushing me. He has some weird issues with women and I don't trust him.

If you have a little extra cash, just pay him to leave. Offer him all of June's rent back if he will be out of the house by the end of the week. Be sure to get it in writing that with the cash payment of X he agrees to leave by X and waives all rights to return by surrendering the keys and taking the money. Little money will go along way by getting rid of this turd, less stress on your gal and on you, and not worrying if this dude is going to go Timothy Mcveigh on you.

I wouldnt mess with the dude as he sounds unstable and some vets have serious issues from their time in the service (not knocking vets, just the truth in some cases). Its not worth throwing gas on the fire to get even with the nut job.

Sadly, I am not in the situation where I have the extra money to pay him to get out, and quite frankly I am not handing a thief money anyway. I may hand him an invoice for all of the food he's still consuming, however.

When the 30 days are up, what's going to guarantee he leaves? You probably need his notice in writing and you probably should expect to have to visit the local courthouse to evict him.

The other advice here is good. Lock up or move the tools and anything else that can't be replaced. Don't buy a lot of groceries unless you have to. Maybe she can keep groceries at your place and eat meals with you there. Otherwise, keeping the peace about the situation is probably the safest and most reasonable thing to do.

Sounds like the guy has some problems and needs a roommate he can be BFF with that won't leave him on his own. You can't help his problems but I can't help but wonder why, after seeing him be creepy in bars with women, your girlfriend thought it was a good idea to let him move in with her. Just sounds like you're asking for a bad situation to unfold.

We have in writing (I believe via email and text messages that have been saved) that he knows he has to be out by the 15th of July. I agree that locking up tools, not buying anything else for him to consume, etc. are good suggestions.

The problems with women were completely unknown to us before he moved in. I never would have let him move in with her if I had known. This basically can be accredited to my girlfriend being very trusting and him being a good actor when we were first getting to know him.

And finally, to everyone who asked why can't I just tough it out for two more weeks: It's over three weeks more to go, I don't trust him, and he's being aggressive. This sort of situation may not be outside the realm of normal bad roommate stuff, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or just sit back and watch it happen. Do you want an untrustworthy, aggressive thief living in your house?

How long have you known her? How long has he known her? At first I thought the answers were obvious, but now I'm not as clear. Right or wrong, realize that if she has any conflicting loyalties here, and this IS the second bad roomate in a row, she may start to wonder why this keeps happening, and very likely will consder the common denominators (that's you!).

His kitchen isn't public property, and, if he's paying rent and currently a legal resident, it is indeed his kitchen and putting a camera there is completely legal. Just FYI. Also, I'm surprised he'd announce his intentions like that rather then just do it...if he truly believed you were the one eating all the food. Are you eating a lot of food?

You say it hasn't gotten personal on your end, but obviously from his end, it has. I'd check my ego on this one, and keep it all business. I understand you're here to vent, and this is better then doing it with him, but I'd hate for this roomate issue with him to become a relationship issue between you and her, and that appears to be the direction he's heading with it.

We all get frustrated, but think of it as a beer. You might really hope it finishes out early, but in the end, you'll have to wait til the yeast finishes it's job. GL to you, keep it business. Personal is a bad direction for your relationship. The advantage we have over the rest of the mammals is our frontal cortex, and that means keeping your ego out of this is the best policy.

Disclaimer this is an internet stranger talking, and it's worth what you're paying for it. It should not be considered legal advice, in fact it should not be construed as advice at all, just a random dudes thoughts on a random topic.

Also, there's lots of suffering in this world. I don't care if it's 2 or 3 weeks, the same concept applies. Its ONLY 3 weeks. Brew a batch of beer and perseverate over the fermentation to kill the time.

Couple of thoughts:

Who holds the lease. If it is her apt and he is just a roommate with no signed agreement he can probably be asked to leave immediately.

How long has your GF known this guy? Anything else going on? Does he have feelings for her.

Her choice of male roommates??

Can she live somewhere else for 3 weeks?

I guess I don't know what you mean, as I have stepped in and I am handling it to the best of my ability within the limits of the law. If I had it my way, all of his stuff would be out on the front lawn, the house locks would be changed already, and his dog would have been taken in by the local no-kill shelter so it could get some proper care - including having food and water, attention from a vet, a bath, and flea medications that he refuses to buy.

What I mean is why is he living with her and not you? By stepping up and solving her roomate problems I mean you step up and be the roomate, with the perks.

She obviously doesn't have an issue with living with people she doesn;t really know, so even if you haven't been dating for a very long time ...

Hey Pistol, go to the police station with your lady and explain the situation. You have a roomate that you feel is being passive aggressive and she does not feel safe.

I did this once after signing a random (seemed normal at signing...this is how they get you) roomate to live with me, the police ran a background check on the guy and flat out told me there was a warrant out for his arrest. They told me to call when he was home and they would come get him. Sure enough, they came and got him. I even told them I wanted him off my lease. They said ok to bear witness to him signing off my lease so that he was legally off it.

Every situation is different, but they are there to protect and serve. Just run it by them.

How long have you known her? How long has he known her? At first I thought the answers were obvious, but now I'm not as clear. Right or wrong, realize that if she has any conflicting loyalties here, and this IS the second bad roomate in a row, she may start to wonder why this keeps happening, and very likely will consder the common denominators (that's you!).

His kitchen isn't public property, and, if he's paying rent and currently a legal resident, it is indeed his kitchen and putting a camera there is completely legal. Just FYI. Also, I'm surprised he'd announce his intentions like that rather then just do it...if he truly believed you were the one eating all the food. Are you eating a lot of food?

You say it hasn't gotten personal on your end, but obviously from his end, it has. I'd check my ego on this one, and keep it all business. I understand you're here to vent, and this is better then doing it with him, but I'd hate for this roomate issue with him to become a relationship issue between you and her, and that appears to be the direction he's heading with it.

I'll start by saying thank you for your thoughts and the time you spent replying. And also for the laughs. :p

My relationship with my girlfriend is rock solid. The best either of us have had, in fact. She wants him out of the house more than I do. I don't feel as though I have an ego on this one, but I do have a need to protect my loved one. Hence, my concerns. I couldn't care less about who's better or whatnot. I don't feel she's completely safe around him and I want him gone. It's that simple. I'm not sure how you could come to the conclusion that I am the common denominator in her roommate woes, but again, at least that made me chuckle.

As far as the camera goes, laws do vary on this from place to place. I'm not a lawyer either, so I can't offer any definitive answers on the laws in my state and city regarding filming in a private residence. That said, I'm willing to wager that "reasonable expectation of privacy" comes into play here and that it's still not legal for him to do that in her home, especially without her consent. Either way, she would never agree to it - and has already said so - as she and I share just about all of our meals together whenever we're not working. Not only does she know how laughable the very idea is, but she needs no proof as to who is taking her food: It can ONLY be him.

Couple of thoughts:

Who holds the lease. If it is her apt and he is just a roommate with no signed agreement he can probably be asked to leave immediately.

How long has your GF known this guy? Anything else going on? Does he have feelings for her.

Her choice of male roommates??

Can she live somewhere else for 3 weeks?

She owns the house. She's known him only slightly longer than I have, and we're only talking about a matter of two weeks or so. He may have feelings for her, but I have not seen him outright demonstrate anything to that effect.

As far as male roommates goes, I am going to say that I don't believe that female roommates are inherently superior. People of both sexes can be whack jobs. She tends to get along a lot better with guys anyway as she's a very level-headed and low-drama type of girl.

She can stay with me as often as she'd like (and the dogs too), but I wouldn't trust him in that house alone for that long. Her checkbook has been missing for some time, but that doesn't immediately point to him. She likes to accidentally hide things from herself and there's been no suspicious activity on her account. All the same, I'm going to advise her to put a stop payment on that range of check numbers.

What I mean is why is he living with her and not you? By stepping up and solving her roomate problems I mean you step up and be the roomate, with the perks.

She obviously doesn't have an issue with living with people she doesn;t really know, so even if you haven't been dating for a very long time ...

Well, aside from the fact that she and I each own our own houses and I had a roommate when he moved in with her, neither of us want to live with the other. We've been together for almost a year, but that's a huge step that isn't necessary to take at the moment (statistics also show that couples who live together before marriage have a far greater rate of divorce). Her house with a fenced-in large back yard is a far superior choice for her two monsters (a Leonberger and an English black lab) than is my small condo.

Also, how well can you really know someone until you've lived with them? I gave the guy my green light too. By all accounts, he was a normal dude with a good job. She needed a roommate to help pay the mortgage, so he was in. It wasn't for at least a few months that all this developed.

Hey Pistol, go to the police station with your lady and explain the situation. You have a roomate that you feel is being passive aggressive and she does not feel safe.

I did this once after signing a random (seemed normal at signing...this is how they get you) roomate to live with me, the police ran a background check on the guy and flat out told me there was a warrant out for his arrest. They told me to call when he was home and they would come get him. Sure enough, they came and got him. I even told them I wanted him off my lease. They said ok to bear witness to him signing off my lease so that he was legally off it.

Every situation is different, but they are there to protect and serve. Just run it by them.

This isn't a bad idea, but I'm hoping this won't be necessary. I may do it all the same if I feel the situation deteriorates at all. He works for Boeing and moved to Charleston for the job, so I'm assuming they would have run a background check on him before he got hired. That's not to say that he couldn't have done something since then that would be on his record, but he probably does not have any outstanding warrants. He was a police officer once too, or so says he.

Thank you to everyone for your responses. There probably isn't much to be done about the situation, and I'm hoping nothing else will be necessary. He may be acting very stupid, but I don't think he's stupid enough to pull anything that would get him in legal trouble. But watch him prove me wrong.

This isn't a bad idea, but I'm hoping this won't be necessary. I may do it all the same if I feel the situation deteriorates at all. He works for Boeing and moved to Charleston for the job, so I'm assuming they would have run a background check on him before he got hired. That's not to say that he couldn't have done something since then that would be on his record, but he probably does not have any outstanding warrants. He was a police officer once too, or so says he.

If he has no warrants or any previous issues they will probably tell you they can do nothing. In my instance the guy stole a check from my checkbook and wrote himself a check (friggin idiot right? Who steals from their roomate)...the police could do nothing about this, but seeing the warrant, they were able to do something. They did tell me it would be wise to not let him re-sign the lease and that he had no violent past crimes. It did give me some piece of mind regardless of them arresting him or not.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/22/movein-before-marriage-no_n_1372687.html

I get if you have religious reasons for not moving in together, but this study shows that if a couple has a strong sense of a future together (if you're NOT moving in to protect your future marriage this would include you)it has absolutely no different rate of marital success at 10 and 20 years then a couple who doesn't live together before marriage.

We fall under the "educated" category of this study, but my wife and I will celebrate 11 years next friday and we shacked up for 2-3 years before marriage....only one of which were we engaged. Don't let an old study stop you!

:mug:

I remember reading studies on cohabitation back in college. I never agreed with the whole idea that it led to divorce. To me, its the mindset of those that decide to live together. If they move in for convenience, obviously that is bad. And the other main problem is when two people live together and think that things will change after marriage. They need to realize that when they live together, this is it, that's what they get Haha.

Anyway, back on topic. I was just happy for the opportunity to use info from my degree, which I do not use at all.

I asked the question about the choice of male roommates with nothing in mind more that it is somewhat unusual for females to have male roommate if they are the homeowner or lease holder.

I agree that male or female makes no difference on the stability of the roommate. I have had female friends (and male) that I would never consider rooming with.

I had some roommates in the early 90's. They were not any particular problem but after a while I found I hated having roommates and will never have one again.

As far as living together goes...

If you both own a home, you could live together and gain value by renting the other home.

Yep, then move in with your girlfriend; problem solved.
Regards, GF.

2 cents:

I was an EMT for 5 years, living and working out of San Diego county. We were contracted with the VA Hospital in La Jolla to do their ambulance work, and I probably saw more cases of PTSD-related disorders than I ever had until that point in my life. Everything from attempted suicides to violent assaults to a guy who was caught by SDPD in his underwear, pulling up the shrubs in the middle of the night in front of his apartment complex. I hope you're reading this intently, PAD, because this is important:

Do NOT antagonize this guy under any circumstances.

Based on what you've written, I have to assume that the roomie is experiencing stress-related PTSD, manic-depression, or some sort of sociopathic disorder. I've seen it too many times to not know what he could be going through, and if that's the case, even a slight provocation can set him off. If the guy doesn't move out by the date you both agreed on, you might need to work with a social worker and/or the local police to determine the best way to remove him from the house. It might even be prudent to contact the VA closest to you to see what they recommend. Worst case scenario, your GF may have to relocate somewhere, because unless this guy doesn't get arrested first, there is no reason for the police to pick him up if he's not posing a threat to you or your GF. For now, just keep an eye on his activity (even make a log if you want to), and take note if he's talking to himself or if he's awake at all hours of the day. Stay safe & keep us up to date.

Too much for me to read but I have to agree with the other guy I would not like my girfriend rooming with any man, maybe her brother, but thats it!

Step up and buy your girlfriend a new refigerator to keep in her locked room...after July 15 there will be an extra fridge to convert in to a fermentaion chamber, keggerator, beer fridge etc. She has food, your a good guy and you will end up with a new toy...winning!

Yeah that's a great idea. :roll eyes:

FYI I am sure I read a few years back about a guy who was continually having his lunch eaten at work, so he rigged up some brownies with ex-lax. He found out who the guy was, and then found out that he could be charged with assault for spiking the brownies, even though the other guy was stealing his food.

So as FUNNY as this would seem to be, I would not advise it. Especially to a roommate who has certain expectations of being able to eat the food in his own apartment. And more especially when that roommate is a veteran.

Back