Label Making Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
What software does everyone use to make their labels?

I've never made one before because I don't bottle as much as I should and they get drank fast but I would like to give it a shot for a new batch I am brewing.

I havn't made any labels yet myself, but nowadays I use Gimp for the majority of my graphics creation/editting.

On that note, has anyone tried GIMPshop yet? It's suppose to be an adaptation of Gimp to be more like photoshop. I havn't had a chance to play with it yet and was wondering what folks impressions of it were.

Denny's Brew said:
How easy is it for a Photoshop person to convert to Gimp?
If you use GimpShop it should be real easy...the UI looks pretty close. I'm playing around with it now...haven't found too many major diffs.

I use Publisher. I d/l'd GIMP, and am still trying to figure it out. I like Publisher because I can set it to print 6-up on plain paper. I'll post some labels as soon as I can figure out how to do it. :drunk:

I use gimp/gimpshop. not much difference between them really, never used photoshop, so can't comment. I usually export them as a png, import them to Word/OpenOffice and stick 6 of them on a page.

I haven't even considered making my own labels. You guys have just added an extra dimension to this already fantastic hobby!!! :D

BTW, Cool labels everone! :cool:

I want to start labeling my bottles as well, but I have some questions first. Do all of you out there use just regular printer paper? What kind of glue do you use?

I use regular paper, inkjet. seal the ink with hairspray. stick on the bottles with pritt stick or PVA adhesive.

What kind of paper and adhesive do you guys use? I searched the forum before posting but could not come up with the info.

I use a laser printer with plain paper. Then I cut up the labels, dunk them in milk and stick them on the bottles. They hold very well once they dry and remove easily with a quick soak in water.

ditto on the milk, I just make a simple black & white label with print shop & ink jet printer, no special paper. I just put information on what I brewed, name of brew, ingredients OG, FG ABV dates made & bottled,etc. for my own benefit.

Back