Leak in shank from nut on the inside of the keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyHandedBrewing

Reaction score
Here is the situation. I just finished building the collar on my keezer last Friday. I was using picnic taps on the inside of the chest freezer before. I had one keg ready to go, so I hooked up the beer line to the tap right after installing the collar. The tap is perlick 525. The tap is fine and works great. However, last night when I was checking a second beer had kegged the night before, I noticed a small leak where the nut attaches the beer line to the shank. It was not leaking much, but it looked like little air (C02) bubbles coming out from between the nut and the shank. I disassembled it and found that I had not pushed the 3/16 in beer line completely onto the 3/16 tail piece fitting. The rubber washer was sitting between were the 3/16 line ended on the tail piece. I corrected this and reassembled with a worm clamp and washer reinstalled. It still leaked. I disassembled again and applied Teflon tap on the shank were it comes into contact with the nut which secures the tail piece. I reassembled with the worm clamp and washer and it still leaks. Any ideas on how I can fix this. The parts which I am using are a 4 1/4" SS shank, Tailpiece, Washer, Shank Nut and Stainless Worm clamp, and a perlick 525 tap. The beer is a Hefeweizen which is at 18 PSI and I use 10 feet of beer line. The perlick works fine and the leak is not on that end. Please help as I am having some people over to check out the build and tap the second keg tomorrow night. I was thinking about removing the washer, but before I do anything else, I wanted to get some feedback from people (you reading this) who have more experience with kegging than I do, as I only kegged by first beer 2 months ago.

Upon doing some more research, I think I had the washer in the wrong place. The washer should be in the nut between the nut and tail piece. I have the washer around the tail piece (it is around the beer line connecting to the tail piece inside the washer). The way I had it when it was leaking, the washer was doing nothing. If I am wrong with my above reasoning please let me know.

Sounds like it. Good for you as you figured it out and fixed it.

This is the correct placement of the pieces.

shank-set.jpg

18 psi was for a hefewiezen. I have since moved it down to 16 with 10 foot lines. Beer is kept at 40F. My problem was solved by moving the washer into the correct location.

Back