lager taste during diacetyl rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel82

Reaction score
Am at the 48 hour period of my diacetyl rest. I tested my FG and it was 1.014 so thats good, but I tasted the sample and it had a sulfur like taste that matched the smell coming from the fermenter. The smell is usual from what I can tell and the taste may be too.

I was just wondering if that is usual for a lager and if so does it clean itself up nicely in the secondary lagering phase.

First lager if that wasn't obvious. Is 48 hours long enough to remove the diacetyl. The gravity dropped about 10 points in the 48 and just wondering if it was a wait till FG thing or wait a certain time even after FG thing.

How long did you let it ferment out? Using know about diacytol rests but as far as sulfur. Some lager yeast do that. your nose probably picked up the smell and you tasted the smell (like a bad fart).

It will go away by the time it's ready to serve and it will be delicious.
Cheers!

gregpio85 said:
How long did you let it ferment out? Using know about diacytol rests but as far as sulfur. Some lager yeast do that. your nose probably picked up the smell and you tasted the smell (like a bad fart).

It will go away by the time it's ready to serve and it will be delicious.
Cheers!

Supposed to read "I don't know a lot about diacytol rests but...."

Haven't figured out how to edit on the hbt iPhone app yet and I type like a putz with it.

Back