Cold Break, Krausen and Questions (Attorney at law)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koomber

Reaction score
I've recently made the transition from an immersion chiller to a CFC and I'm very happy with the results thus far.

From what I understand the fact that the cold break is getting into the primary fermenter isn't a problem as the cold break is out of solution and that now that they are 'broken' they shouldn't be a problem, so there shouldn't be a need for the beer to be racked off it.

One thing I have noticed is that the krausen now seem to hang around forever. I've had brews that have had rock solid SG readings and the kruasen just sits there. Staring at me. Any who, I usually just skim it off with a sanitised spoon and any bits I miss quickly settle into the trub.

Does this change in krausen formation tie in with other people's experience of CFC's?

koomber said:
I've recently made the transition from an immersion chiller to a CFC and I'm very happy with the results thus far.

From what I understand the fact that the cold break is getting into the primary fermenter isn't a problem as the cold break is out of solution and that now that they are 'broken' they shouldn't be a problem, so there shouldn't be a need for the beer to be racked off it.

One thing I have noticed is that the krausen now seem to hang around forever. I've had brews that have had rock solid SG readings and the kruasen just sits there. Staring at me. Any who, I usually just skim it off with a sanitised spoon and any bits I miss quickly settle into the trub.

Does this change in krausen formation tie in with other people's experience of CFC's?

I've used a wide diversity of chilling methods and can't say that I have found any predictable pattern around krausen. It's appearance and falling is complexly related to foaming proteins, so a change in your break material could certainly be related. But...who cares? Why are you scooping that stuff out with a spoon? Leave your beer alone! Leave it alone!!! :mug:

Back