Corny not dispensing!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdowling56

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I decided at the last min to keg a batch for a party next week. This is my first time using a Corny keg and because of the time crunch did not practice due diligence by checking the keg completely first.

So anyway, here I am a week later and I cant get it to dispense correctly! I put about 20 PSI on it today just to give her a taste and all I get out of my picnic tap is a slow dribble. The keg is getting and holding pressure just fine, it just wont dispense!

One thing thats kind of odd is that if i let it sit for a min, and then try to take a draw off of the picnic tab, I get a tiny little fart of pressure/liquid, but this it goes right back to the slow dribble.

This sound familiar to anyway? I know i'm prob going to have to take the fitting / dip-tube out but with 5 gallons of beer in it i'm not all that jazzed to do that.

I know i'm prob going to have to take the fitting / dip-tube out but with 5 gallons of beer in it i'm not all that jazzed to do that.

Yep. Take it off of the gas, and purge the keg first. Then remove the "out" post and pull out the poppit and diptube. Hold the diptube up to the light and see if you can see daylight through it. If not, you found your problem! Rinse with hot water, resanitize, and put it all back. Rinse the poppit, too, and resanitize.

Do you have another black quick disconnect for the "out" post? Just in case it's the quick disconnect?

So here's a puzzler. Same symptom as described above, except:

1) I have (4) corny kegs and 3 work fine. So definitely not the liquid disconnect.
2) The one corny keg that dispenses slowly does not have any obstructions in the dip tube. I can pressurize with cleaning fluid, press the poppit with a screwdriver, and it gushes out freely.

So here's my theory. The keg in question is a converted Firestone pin lock keg. Could it be that Keg Connection put the wrong type of poppit valve in, and my liquid disconnect simply isn't pressing it down fully enough? And if this theory is correct, what do you think I would need to do to fix it?

That's as good a theory as any, and has been reported here before. If you have a second converted pinlock with the same fittings, swap the Out posts between them and see if the problem moves with the post. If it does, take a pic of the two poppets and send it to Keg Connection and have them send you a good poppet.

If you don't have a matching keg to work with, things get a bit tougher...

Cheers!

Contacted Keg Connection and they're sending me a replacement poppet, no questions asked. You gotta love customer service like that! :ban:

Back