Peroni has a sweetness to it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't Peroni have corn in it? Corn leaves some "sweetness" behind in the flavor. It's not really sweet, though, just has that in the lingering taste. It's also underhopped, which probably also contributes to the residual sweetness.

hmm corn. ok I need to study up on recipes and how different ingredients affect beer.

hmm corn. ok I need to study up on recipes and how different ingredients affect beer.

Corn is used in quite a few American lagers, and in cream ales too. Do they have Genessee Cream Ale where you live? It's like an American lager, but it's made with an ale yeast and with malted barley and corn. Corn lightens the body of a beer and sometimes leaves a certain "sweet" corn taste if lots of it is use. My cream ale recipe uses corn in it, if you want to just take a look at it and see the proportions.

Corn is used in quite a few American lagers, and in cream ales too. Do they have Genessee Cream Ale where you live? It's like an American lager, but it's made with an ale yeast and with malted barley and corn. Corn lightens the body of a beer and sometimes leaves a certain "sweet" corn taste if lots of it is use. My cream ale recipe uses corn in it, if you want to just take a look at it and see the proportions.

yeah im sure I can find it. There are a few places with a great beer selection. I will look for it.

Try less hops. I know that sounds like a smartass answer, but that is the key: carefully balancing hops and malt bill to get the sweetness or bitterness you desire. Yeast only ferment about 75% of the sugars in a beer, so the sweetness is always there behind the hops.

The "bitterness ratio" is a measure of this balance. I consider 0.5 very "german", or nicely balanced for drinkability. Lower than this, you start getting sweet. Higher, bitter. Check this out (sorry for the huge pic ) (taken from http://www.lugwrenchbrewing.com/search/label/Charts - thanks Jeff!)

IBU-to-OG+Ratio+Chart.JPG

Bottom line is there are lots of kinds of sugars and not all sugars are fermentable by all yeast strains. Different mash processes and ingredients will produce more- or less fermentable wort. And less attenuative yeast strains will leave more sugars behind.

I grew up on Genesee Cream Ale, the local brewery! I have a friend who is a pipe fitter at the Genesee brewery and he has brought me cream ales. I should make some.

Back