Is a starter needed for the Texas 2 step method?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasmeyer

Reaction score
I am going to try the "Texas 2 step" method when I brew my next extract IPA. It appears to be an easy way to create a full boil without a 6-7 gallon pot, and I am learing that my hoppy beers are not very hoppy due to my small boil size.

When useing the 2-step method I was wondering if a starter is necessary since the yeast will only be fermenting 2 1/2 gallons of 1.060-1.065 beer? It would seem to me If the second 2 1/2 gallon boil is to be added 24 hours after pitching, the yeast should have multiplied enough to handle the second boil. Any opinions on this?

According to the pitching rate calculator at www.mrmalty.com, you will not need a starter for a 2.5 gallon batch, so long as the OG does not exceed 1.057 (with a fresh vial/pack). If the yeast are a few months old, it is a good idea to make a starter.

In the case of your stated method, the first half of the batch will act as a starter for the remainder (again, assuming the vial/pack is fresh).

Could you share out any references on the “Texas 2 step” method? I haven’t heard of that before, and nothing came up from a few quick searches.

Could you share out any references on the “Texas 2 step” method? I haven’t heard of that before, and nothing came up from a few quick searches.
One is here http://cryptobrewology.com/show-article.php?Better_Extract_Late_than_Never_and_the_Texas_Two-Step

and a short explaination here http://***********/stories/article/indices/30-extract-brewing/10-10-steps-to-better-extract-brewing

I recently found an explaination with recipes but didn't save the #%$@*# page to my favorites!

Back