5 gallon batch, 6.5 gallon bucket...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigthor

Reaction score
and i managed to have a blowout. Woke up late for work, checked the closet only to find the lid upside down on top of the bucket, and my closet covered in mess about 3 feet above the fermentor. I was amazed. Figured 1.5 gallons of headspace would be enough.

Guess I'll use a blowoff tube from now on just in case.

I would say "I told you so," but I don't keep a list of all the people who I've told to always use a blow off for the first 3 days of fermentation. ;)

That sucks man, but at least you didn't have to scrub a ceiling like I did. :eek:

What kind of beer was it? SInce I do not have a blow-off, and not sure why I don't have one yet, I only brew lighter beers that usually don't need a blow off.

I did make a couple stouts that I think I got lucky without using blowoff.

Money says it was a wheat beer!

I did a Centennial Blonde in an Ale Pail and used a blow-off tube for the first day. Once I noticed that is was going, I took it off and put an airlock on it. We'll find out if I am a fool or not! (I just love the sound of an airlock popping away.)

Back